A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I can't stand it when people don't indicate before turning into lanes, especially when they turn right in front of you.

Last edited by admin on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Where to start..... :D

- fail to move right and/or stop for emergency vehicles

- fail to move LEFT for stopped police vehicles

- having the hwy closed (usually pylons, flares, cruiser x-ways, lights on, MTO arrow trucks) and someone stops and asks "Is the road closed" or "Is there an Accident"

Sure some of these will tweak others minds....

- improper turn (turning NOT into the closest lane)

- someone signals, then swerves the opposite way to make the turn to the way they signalled

- someone who flies past me, slows down, then I pass them, (repeat) all at the same time I have cruise locked.....so inconsistent rate of speed

- improper merging (not entering at hwy speed....can I say Toronto)

- big signs saying road merging 3km ahead, yet knuckleheads wait until there is no lane remaining and cut others off who merged over well ahead of time

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

People making a left/right turn from 2-nd left/right lane, especially right in front of you.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Reflections

by: Reflections on

big signs saying road merging 3km ahead, yet knuckleheads wait until there is no lane remaining and cut others off who merged over well ahead of time

Can you say HWY10 in Caledon.....rass-in-frassin-no-good.

Slow people in the left lane, weavers and tailgaters. One of these days I'm gettin' a new car out of one of them and I won't even have to try.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Zeeman28a

by: Zeeman28a on

hwybear wrote:- improper merging (not entering at hwy speed....can I say Toronto)

Getting a ticket on a merge ramp to a highway for exceeding the 30kph to 70kph limit on those ramps. Where exactly do those limits end?

My favorite is I'm in a left turn lane at a light and the idiot in the lane to the right of me accelerates and makes the left turn in front of me.

OR

Same scenario but they make a u-turn instead.

- driving in the right lane and the car in front stops, puts hazzards on and proceeds to exit car like he/she belongs there.

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

How about the idiot that floors it,making a right hand turn

only to slow down to 10kmh as soon as he gets in front of you!

Reflections

BelSlySTi wrote:How about the idiot that floors it,making a right hand turn

only to slow down to 10kmh as soon as he gets in front of you!

I think we should be allowed to hit the other car in this instance. :twisted:

Plus he gets 2 minutes for being stupid.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Zeeman28a wrote:
hwybear wrote:- improper merging (not entering at hwy speed....can I say Toronto)

Getting a ticket on a merge ramp to a highway for exceeding the 30kph to 70kph limit on those ramps. Where exactly do those limits end?

Unless the signs are posted with a white background and black letters they are NOT enforceable. You are probably referring to yellow speed limit signs which are "cautionary" signs with recommend driving behaviour.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

hwybear wrote:
Zeeman28a wrote:

Unless the signs are posted with a white background and black letters they are NOT enforceable. You are probably referring to yellow speed limit signs which are "cautionary" signs with recommend driving behaviour.

And the driving public thanks you for that one. :D I did wonder, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Reflections wrote:
hwybear wrote:
Zeeman28a wrote:

And the driving public thanks you for that one. :D I did wonder, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

The best thing is to think of those "black on yellow" as actual limits for the buses and 18-wheelers, not as "limits" for cars. You have to realize that the OHTA refers to ALL vehicles travelling, and where a bus can make a curve at no more than 50 does not mean a car cannot do the same curve at 80.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Proper1

by: Proper1 on

Pet peeves? Well, since you asked, I have two. I'll vent them as separate threads, in case there's more interest in one than in the other.

First, people who try to drive and to use a cell phone at the same time. Hand held or hands free, makes no difference to the statistics. Either way, any driver (and we've all seen them) who is involved in a telephone conversation or text messaging while driving is dangerous. Some studies indicate the level of danger is about the same as that posed by a driver who is over .08 alcohol.

Have I done it? Yep, and I was a damn fool, too.

McGuinty's government should stop ducking this one and get legislation into place, now.

For a good, recent overview of various studies on this, see

http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insu ... ellphones/

Proper1

by: Proper1 on

Pet peeve #2: Cutters.

"Cutters" is the term used to describe those jerks who breeze by lines of vehicles waiting their turn to get through where the multi-lane traffic flow has been reduced to fewer lanes, or to a single lane: construction, built-up area, emergency, etc., etc.

A friend of mine says he actually met one of these people at a party once. The guy was quite open about it -- said, "Oh, yeah, there's always somebody near the head of the line who'll let you in."

Know what? He's absolutely right. That cutter and the others like him will always succeed in getting in near the head of the line, and the line will get longer, and slower, when, if everybody just merged a kilometer or more back, when the Merge signs started to show, nobody would have to stop at all.

In fact, I don't think you can stop them.

You can't head them off up the line because, for one thing, HTA OREG 455/07, 8, i, now defines as "Stunt Driving": "driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing." So moving to the left somewhere back up the line to stop the bastard (or the bitch) from going by is a slam-dunk invitation to a multi-thousand-dollar session of vehicle impoundment and all the rest of the new "Stunt Driving" thing.

And you can't give them a hard time near the head of the line, either: 148(2) says you must let them complete their pass when they signal that it's you that they intend to cut in front of. For that matter, the same "Stunt Driving" definition mentioned above might apply here, too.

I really don't like cutters.

(Please excuse any errors I've made in the way I've cited the laws. I don't always know where to place the parentheses, periods, commas, etc.)

hwybear

Posting Awards

Proper1 wrote:Pet peeve #2: Cutters.

You can't head them off up the line because, for one thing, HTA OREG 455/07, 8, i, now defines as "Stunt Driving": "driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing." So moving to the left somewhere back up the line to stop the bastard (or the bitch) from going by is a slam-dunk invitation to a multi-thousand-dollar session of vehicle impoundment and all the rest of the new "Stunt Driving" thing.

And you can't give them a hard time near the head of the line, either: 148(2) says you must let them complete their pass when they signal that it's you that they intend to cut in front of. For that matter, the same "Stunt Driving" definition mentioned above might apply here, too.

Never heard of the term "cutters", but good to know.

I do not think 148(2) applies at all.......most times these "cutters" are in fact stopped or slowed down now as it merges....trying to get into a lane that is moving.......so the vehicle is now NOT travelling at a greater speed and thus this section does not apply :)

Unless there is a collision, I personally would not even consider the HTA 172 for being a "blocker" to a cutter. Maybe fail to drive in a marked lane, but that's it.

I can't stand "cutters" either....funny I don't see much "cutting" when I work...hmmm

kend7510

by: kend7510 on

I cannot stand people who make a stop on the right lane (especially/mostly in downtown Toronto, where there are a lot of busy 2-lane streets), and get off the car to go somewhere, or just park there and wait to pick someone up or something, and in turn congest the whole street, as if it's his own driveway.

There must be some sort of regulations in HTA thats against this right?

Post a Reply