Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
kaylie

Prohibited Right Turn $1875?!?

by: kaylie on

so my friend made a "prohibited right turn" at bloor street east and church street, and the ticket says $1875 with no decimals.. it's under section 38(a) and i'm just thinking there is no way it can be that much for an illegal right turn..

I was looking on the internet to research more about it, and came across this thread http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=358438 which seems to be the same offence.. and their fine was $18.75.

I went to look back at the ticket and it seems like the 75 is a tad smaller than the 18 but it is very hard to tell..

I'm wondering if there is anyone who can confirm this, sort of difficult at the moment because the city is on strike,.. i was going to get those professional agencies to fight it for me, but i might as well pay it if it's only $18.75.. and any demerits?

thanks in advance.

liveontheedge

by: liveontheedge on

I got one like that 2 years ago. I was not sure if there was 2 points so i called MTO twice and they told me there were 2 points.

I told them that there are 2 points if the charge was against HTA but my ticket was against a by-law, then they told me they just followed the table, prohibited turn is 2 points. If anybody has any solid info on this please post.

There would be insurance implication if there were 2 points for me.

I did not want to take any chance of getting my insurance hike, i filed for a trial, but the charge was dropped (cop was there) without me doing anything.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Can you please take a photograph of the ticket, shade out all your personal information like name, address, vehicle plates, etc., and post it here, so that we can give a better advice on presence of a fatal error on your ticket

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
kaylie

soo.. i went to the court services building today, and yes, it did end up being $18.75.. but the teller had to "double check".. so i just paid it, no demerits..

abercrombieToronto

by: abercrombieToronto on

Hi Kaylie,

i was stopped on the same spot u were on and it was 12:15 am July 24'09, i am from mississauga and I just had my G license on July 10'09 with one year excellent clean record. i am all aware by laws give no points and doesnt show on driving abstract but what i need to ask u is, u think its worth while explaining to the judge how bad the area is, its all construction and i am nit fron that area beside there was amber construction sign as righht turn arrow, this is really unfair u cant go right u cant go left so where should we go in downtown!!!!! Thx and plz let me know if u met a judge when u went to the court,

David B'

abercrombieToronto

Squishy wrote:That sounds like something you should talk to Toronto Transportation Services about.

Honestly, we all know what is going on here,,,,,, End of the month and the Ban handler needs to fill his/her pocket and guess what, they have the power and they have the right to arrest you because they can do so!!!!!!!!, but for me it is not about $18.75 or the fact it got no points or impact, its about the concept of being fair in how and what kind of service you provide, for the past few years in this country, the quality of service has just been screwed up and the price tag of it is just climbing the mountains and i am taking it to the court and I will give my cause even if i have to bring the media to that area i would.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

The JP can't really do anything about roadwork and signage. I've been successful in the past in voicing my concerns to our local Works department, even had my suggestions brought up at an MTO meeting.

Just can't tell them to do something that will cost a chunk of money, as then they ignore you. :x

abercrombieToronto

Squishy wrote:The JP can't really do anything about roadwork and signage. I've been successful in the past in voicing my concerns to our local Works department, even had my suggestions brought up at an MTO meeting.

Just can't tell them to do something that will cost a chunk of money, as then they ignore you. :x

u know wut, thinking of the fact it will take me 20 mts from mississuaga to downtown, park my car and pay for parking there and big chance the Judge will still ask me to pay and, then pay, and then another 20 minutes back home, looks like its worth while keeping my mouth shut and pay :( but really it is not fair''''

Squishy

by: Squishy on

But the court system doesn't provide the service you have an issue with. It would be like complaining to the McDonalds janitor that you were given the wrong order.

You can ask Toronto Transportation Services (they handle all city-maintained roads) to put up a temporary sign or remove some unnecessary visual distractions. That department is a lot busier than ours in Orillia, but offer something reasonable that won't interfere with their budget, and there's a chance that they will listen.

abercrombieToronto

Squishy wrote:But the court system doesn't provide the service you have an issue with. It would be like complaining to the McDonalds janitor that you were given the wrong order.

You can ask Toronto Transportation Services (they handle all city-maintained roads) to put up a temporary sign or remove some unnecessary visual distractions. That department is a lot busier than ours in Orillia, but offer something reasonable that won't interfere with their budget, and there's a chance that they will listen.

the only thing that i am offering is $cd18.75 to buy Time Hortons Coffee and i will let somone else take care of their lunch break!

kaylie

abercrombieToronto wrote:Hi Kaylie,

i was stopped on the same spot u were on and it was 12:15 am July 24'09, i am from mississauga and I just had my G license on July 10'09 with one year excellent clean record. i am all aware by laws give no points and doesnt show on driving abstract but what i need to ask u is, u think its worth while explaining to the judge how bad the area is, its all construction and i am nit fron that area beside there was amber construction sign as righht turn arrow, this is really unfair u cant go right u cant go left so where should we go in downtown!!!!! Thx and plz let me know if u met a judge when u went to the court,

David B'

hmm.. no...i would just pay it.. because to talk to a judge, you still have to file the ticket and then book a court date. like others have said, you will have to pay to commute and park at the toronto office, so if it's possible, you might aswell save the time and hassle and see if u can pay online http://www.toronto.ca/pay-toronto-ticke ... ticket.htm

abercrombieToronto

kaylie wrote:
abercrombieToronto wrote:Hi Kaylie,

David B'

hmm.. no...i would just pay it.. because to talk to a judge, you still have to file the ticket and then book a court date. like others have said, you will have to pay to commute and park at the toronto office, so if it's possible, you might aswell save the time and hassle and see if u can pay online http://www.toronto.ca/pay-toronto-ticke ... ticket.htm

Btw Guya, there is $3 extra when u do ON-LINE payment. I just mailed them out the $18.75'

Post a Reply