hwybear

Posting Awards

Radar / Lidar Units Types

by: hwybear on

I wasn't going to get another topic off track..

Tdrive2 - I am not familiar with any GTA traffic or even 6 lanes of traffic, so any comment would not be fair to the officers or anyone here wanting somewhat of a idea of how we do it.

there are many different radar units that are in the field

Decatur Genesis II single antenna

Decatur Genesis II dual antenna

Decatur Genesis II Select dual antenna

Decatur Genesis II Select Directional dual antenna

Stalker DSR 2X

Handhelds

Genesis VP

Genesis VP Directional

Laser Atlanta Speed Laser

Marksman LTI 20-20

Radar Dectector Dectectors

VG2 (phased out)

Spectre

Spectre 2

Spectre 3

Spectre 4

Last edited by hwybear on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

And just for fun,,,, 1 airplane

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

Reflections wrote:And just for fun,,,, 1 airplane

Sorry, forgot to add in the "STOPWATCH"

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Isn't the Markman old or not being phased out?

Although a few months back i saw the OPP in peel using them on the 400's.

hwybear

Posting Awards

I think all the Ultralytes lidars were phased out, everything else is still in use to the best of my knowledge.

There was some areas testing a new lidar......something like a set of binoculars, but I do not know what brand and have not seen it

tdrive2

bear remember in the other thread with the hand held K band VP directional, you told me that what i had suggested would not hold up in court because the gun has a mode to select direction (device can tell or only read cars going away, or coming towards it, etc)

Would the Genesis VP not have this option and therefore this defense would work? (The non directional one)

As far as laser have you ever heard of a court case where lidar was tossed out, because of a doubt or incapability?

I heard a rumor years back the MTO never approved Lidar, but anyways lidar i assume would be the most accurate and is subject to very little interference or room for error, mind being almost impossible to "detect."

hwybear

Posting Awards

yes, he basic VP does not have that option....but those types were removed from our traffic office about 4 yrs ago.......the one suggested in the thread in question is a directional.

MTO has nothing to do with the equipment we use.

tdrive2

Can you add into this thread the spectre R.D.D.

I wonder how much they cost.

Am i wrong in thinking that all officers would have a radar unit, hand held radar, Laser, and a spectre RDD with them in every car.

Although i have heard the laser speed guns cost quite a bit.

I wonder if they have the funding for all this?

I assume spectres must be about 1000-3000 $ each....

Would all the undercover units be covered with this.

PS bear i saw some different undercover crown vics.

Usually the OPP has solid colours such as steel grey, dark blue, black, all with black steel wheels.

In Peel on the QEW i saw a really cool one. It was jet black, had the markings on the back but was kind of ghost imaged. Also had OPP marking but written in a steel grey that was ghosted out.

Looked really bad ass!

On a second though i am not kidding but in Peel i saw an crown vic traffic car with alloys?????? It was near halton though so not sure if it was theres.

I was under the impression all police vehicles for pursuit would have black steel wheels?

Wasnt the reason for this something to do with law suits (plastic wheel cover flies off in pursuit hurts someone) and the fact that these cars take a real beating so steel would be best choice.

Mind you that car may have had plastic hub caps, but again i was on other side of road. (this was not a 400 series road)

hwybear

Posting Awards

tdrive2 wrote:In Peel on the QEW i saw a really cool one. It was jet black, had the markings on the back but was kind of ghost imaged. Also had OPP marking but written in a steel grey that was ghosted out.

Looked really bad ass!

Almost every unmarked OPP being built now has the "subdued" markings on them. It is invisible during the day, but all lights up when headlights strike the unit. Only benefit is for traffic control and blocking lanes so the car is more visible.

Hub caps just cost money to replace as they often go missing, that is the reason for the steel rims. Steel rims take the beating. Nothing to do with "flying" hubaps and law suits.

Rarely does a cruiser have all the "toys" in it. Some do not even have radar.

ps...added the Spectre above!

tdrive2

Makes alot of sense. Plus why order cars for highway patrol with alloys that would certainly cost alot more and would be hard to justify buying them with citizens tax dollars.

Maybee wrong thread.

On a cop car on the back you sometimes will see 2-3 of these dome like things. They are circular near the back of the roof and kinda flat, maybe stick out like 1 inch max.

Then you usually got 2 Antenna's. 1 Very long one and a short one just above it.

Curious about why they are these. Secondly most cop cars for example Peel do not have this!

But most new halton, peel, and TPS cars have those circular / dome looking things on them.

I heard this is the internet radio's or connection/receiver for the in car laptops used to look up criminals, people, or road side records, etc?

Bear i dont know how up beat you are with technology, but apparently you guys and alot of police forces use this digital fleet new now.

Why is it not encrypted? i don't think the gear would cost anymore, maybe to set it up originally. I heard london police does have this though.

On your computers i assume you guys would have windows xp, with novell client and a vpn?

Btw for the 2 antennas ill take a wild guess at this. The long one is the antenna for the digital receiver which is mounted in car (all cars have this), the small one is this so called analog repeater antenna, and those circular dome looking things are the internet connection for the computer/laptop in the car?

Sorry for the questions i am to curious.

Let's say you have to suspend a license for whatever reason. Do you do this yourself on the computer in the car via some sort of program, or MTO website?

And the cars without the dome's on them are the old white ones or older cars and you need to radio in to some kind of operator or call the MTO to have the suspension done?

tdrive2

PS was out tonight your right about the Spectre, saw 2 of them parked for a break. Both did not have the Spectre RDD.

You were also telling me that not all the cars have a built in radar unit.

I don't know how you guys would do it. But lets say in the GTA region you might have 15 officers on a shift?

So would a commander or Boss assign roles to these guys?

Like have lets say 5 of them on dispatch waiting for calls maybe during rush hour, then send out like another 5 to watch doing speed, traffic, enforcement looking for aggressive drivers etc, then the other 5 head off to court to fight tickets?

I wonder how this works in the GTA. If every officer is going to basically give speeding tickets for exceeding 129 (130 seems to the enforced limit alot since so many already go to mid-high 120's around here).

Then at 30 over is 3 points, alot of money, and definitely an insurance increase, considering most people would fight this how do they get on the road if they have that many court appointments?

Not to pick on you guys, but especially around here during the week you don't see the officers that much. I am guessing alot are in court. But on sunday oh man youll see tons.

I always wondered how they organize shifts. For example during business hours 9-5 you guys would have more officers than say a shift from 10 pm to 6 am?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

tdrive2 wrote:Not to pick on you guys, but especially around here during the week you don't see the officers that much. I am guessing alot are in court. But on sunday oh man youll see tons.

That's true everywhere in the GTA. Sunday is the "traffic enforcement day of the week." There are sporadic speed traps here and there on weekdays but they are not run as often as on Sundays.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Just trying to make sure everyone gets to and from church ok...... asking forgiveness for the traffic "sins" throughout the week :D :D :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

tdrive2 wrote:Btw for the 2 antennas ill take a wild guess at this. The long one is the antenna for the digital receiver which is mounted in car (all cars have this), the small one is this so called analog repeater antenna, and those circular dome looking things are the internet connection for the computer/laptop in the car?

correct.

I do not how or why any encrypted radio or not.

I do not know what other offices work for schedules or zones.

We work 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off. 12hr shifts. Start of shift we usually have an informal chat and I'll go to this km marker, ok, I'm going here etc...maybe a time is set for all units to do a RIDE or intercept at a location. When a call comes in we all give our location to the dispatch and the closest car takes it.

Court is Mon-Fri (Criminal) and Tues, Wed (traffic) so officers could be in court then....week nights and weekends there is no court in this area, so everyone is on the road.

tdrive2

Wow 12 hour shifts! Patience must be thin.

Let's say on a night shift would you actually be on the road the whole time since no court or nothing else to do?

I think R.I will make his next trip in that way around a Tuesday around 9-5 possibly :roll:

Very interesting but i wasnt sure if it was just me noticing.

I do believe this though for a few reasons.

Limit is 100, de facto is more like 115-130. It's hard to hand out tickets when the whole lane is cruising at 130....

Soooooo, ill take a wild guess but with the way people drive in the GTA region, you have to do something pretty bad to get the officers attention.

Like maybee here you'll get a following to close for less than 2 car lengths, but other places that would be 3-4.

So if this is true, and most tickets they issue are more than 130. Providing all the 50 overs.

I would not be surprised if these officer's especially GTA region spend ALOT of time in court.

Usually when you get a ticket 3 or more points of over 30 km/hr you would take it to court....

So ill assume in this area here there is a way higher percentage of people taking tickets to court now.

Maybee like a 15 over or 20 over the person would pay it.

This is why i said before again a higher limit could help. If the limit was 130 for example. You would i assume have most cars 125-145???

There would be alot less difference in speeds. Even with the price of gas i wouldn't think most would exceed 150 with a 130 limit.

So this would mean officer's would be on the road a whole lot more since all these people now with a new limit would not be criminals.

Now i am just speaking of perspective. From what i hear most tickets OPP issue are for speeding though...

Less time in court would mean more time on the road, maybe if people saw more cops on the road that would help aswell.

But if they are all in court fighting big speeding tickets all day long well then...... they are not patrolling the highways are they?

I know speed enforcement must be hard here. Like can you imagine trying to run a lidar trap with 6 cruisers on the QEW in Mississauga. Where are you gonna hide them all. Can you imagine how much of a distraction and problem you would cause the whole bloody road would freak out and slam on their breaks.

I always wondered why the issue always seems to be safety. You think the municipalities would be really concerned about cops spending so much time in courts and not on the road, but then again i have never seen any spread sheets or numbers on how much revenue is coming from speeding tickets for city's. For some i am sure they rely on it to keep going.

I am sure this whole HOV concept came from this whole Green idea, but now what saving some small fraction of a percent out of that tiny percent of Co2 humans produce is worth risking with the design and engineering of the highway and the flow of traffic to make it more dangerous, yet we are told everyday we should drive 100 km/hr causes its safer?

Not many people use it either i think it would work better just to make that into a new lane.

For example on the 403, you have the HOV plus a WIDE shoulder on the inside and the outside.

I bet you could make that into 5 lanes easily.

On 403 ill take a wild guess, you have 1-1.5 feet of marking on both sides of the HOV lane. Then you got the shoulder maybee 3-5 feet, and the shoulder on the right is probably 4-7 feet sometimes.

If you got rid of some of the inside shoulder, mad the HOV lane into the passing lane, and got rid of those super wide markings that surround it you could squeeze in another lane.

They also really need to give the ending markings a try. So many times the highway slows down to an absolute crawl, because people are idiots and go on the highway at 50 and 60 km/hr then they have to merge with the right lane so they slow down and move into the middle, and well tis not hard to figure out.

Maybee we should have police on the ramps here and start giving people *EDIT* or tickets for entering the highway at 50 km/hr below the limit you should be at!

They should have big signs telling you to accelerate to the posted speed before you merge. Then get rid of the paint and have the ramp just merge or flow into the right lane or (driving lane).

Post a Reply