Find Helpful Traffic Ticket Articles, Guides, and How To's here provided by other members!

Do you have helpful information to provide? Write a Help Article and Post it Here!

Write Helpful Articles and Find Help Articles Here in the Ontario Traffic Ticket Help & Articles Knowledge Base Forum!
ashishbhatia_56

Options For Speeding Ticket Received Thru Auto-enforcement System

by: ashishbhatia_56 on

Received my first speeding ticket in over 2.5 years of driving in Ontario. Was driving at 69 km/h in a 50 km/hr community safe zone. Got a $120 ticket (Set fine - $90 + other costs) via Automated Speed Enforcement System.

Questions:

1.) Date of deemed service is - 4-Feb-21. Does it mean I have 15 days of time beyond 4-Feb to exercise the options provided?

2.) I read somewhere that if I overspeed by < 20 km/hr, there's a 3$ fine per every km/hr that the offender has exceeded. If that's true, then the fine in my case should be $57 + additional costs. Is the additional $38 ($95 minus $57) because of it being a community safe zone?

3.) I now have 3 options to exercise - (1) Plea of guilty (2) early resolution by meeting with the Prosecutor (3) Trial Option

Since I am at fault, I was thinking of going with option#2 with a hope that the set fine be reduced considering it is my first speeding ticket?

4.) The Offence Notice mentions that "neither demerit points nor a driver's license suspension will result from my conviction for this offence". It's good that there will not be any demerit points, however does anyone know if there will be a hit on the insurance.

P.S. - there is already another ticket that I received almost an year back for disobeying a traffic sign that I have disputed but have yet to receive a date from the court for trial.

Please advise taking into consideration that my ultimate motive is to minimize the impact on insurance as much as possible even if it means paying the entire fine ($120)

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

These new photo radar tickets, much like red light camera tickets, can be considered glorified parking tickets.

They are sent to the owner of the car. They don't know who is driving nor do they necessarily care. If the you don't pay, you can't renew your stickers. That's pretty much it.

They do not impact insurance. The ticket follows the plates, not the license.

All things considered, it's almost not worth the hassle. You can get an early resolution and have the speed knocked down, which will in turn bring down the fine. At the same time, you should consider the cost of gas and parking. It might not even be worth the trip for certain individuals.

Since your insurance doesn't care, dealing with the ticket is probably going to be more about whether or not the extra savings will be worth the time and effort based on your own situation.

ashishbhatia_56

Thank you Bend for your response.

w.r.t the below question, do I have 15 days time after 4-Feb to exercise one of the options?

1.) Date of deemed service is - 4-Feb-21. Does it mean I have 15 days of time beyond 4-Feb to exercise the options provided?

Also, if the case is not entered into the online system by the officer until the due date (lets suppose it is 19-Feb), what do I do?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

ashishbhatia_56 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:59 pm

The date given may be off a couple days either direction. I believe they just tack on a certain amount of days to account for the mail. But yes, that is the date you are assumed to have been served your ticket.

ashishbhatia_56 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Also, if the case is not entered into the online system by the officer until the due date (lets suppose it is 19-Feb), what do I do?

Usually you can can check by attempting to pay the ticket. Either it will recognize the number on the ticket or it wont.

ashishbhatia_56

"Usually you can can check by attempting to pay the ticket. Either it will recognize the number on the ticket or it wont."

@Bend - If it does not recognize & 15 days pass by, will it be okay to assume ticket hasn't been entered in the system? Should I still send a mail telling them the option I want to exercise.

Basically, I just want to know if ticket not being there on the online system is same as it being thrown away & I being let go...?

Post a Reply