A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Dk519

Drive Motor Vehicle No License

by: Dk519 on

So I was pulled over in my car late April after a cop ran my plate. She discovered that my license had been expired since January.

I didn't believe her at first since I had just gotten a new card in September and hadn't realized it was because my M2 was no longer valid so they sent it reflecting the change back to just G.

Naturally she had to write me a ticket for the titled charge and my wife drove us home. I decided the $325 fine was obscene for simply not giving the ministry their yearly $95 on time so I chose an early resolution meeting in hopes of getting it reduced.

My meeting is scheduled for the end of June and now my work is getting super busy and it's not as attractive of an option. My questions if you've read this far:

1. Can I cancel the early resolution meeting and just pay the fine?

2. What are the chances of this charge being reduced if I can't cancel and end up going?

What's crazy is I legitimately had no idea it was expired and drove 2000 km in Iceland in March without even the rental car company noticing. Needless to say I renewed online immediately after receiving the ticket.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

A car rental agency in Iceland is not likely to know the difference between a G and an M (or, in your case, M2). Regardless, class G refers to cars, so that wouldn't have been an issue.

An M2 is valid for a minimum of 22 months and a maximum of five years. If you don't pass the road test to upgrade to full M, your M2 will expire. It's easy to forget to do that, especially if you keep putting it off. I almost blew through my five years, but, thankfully, received a letter reminding me to book an M test. Based on what you said, I'm guessing your M2 expired. That would explain the new licence in September.

If your entire licence expired in January, you should have received a renewal notice a few months in advance. Even if you didn't receive it, it's your responsibility to renew on time. Have you moved? Maybe the notice was sent to your old address.

Dk519

by: Dk519 on

Zatota wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 am

A car rental agency in Iceland is not likely to know the difference between a G and an M (or, in your case, M2). Regardless, class G refers to cars, so that wouldn't have been an issue.

An M2 is valid for a minimum of 22 months and a maximum of five years. If you don't pass the road test to upgrade to full M, your M2 will expire. It's easy to forget to do that, especially if you keep putting it off. I almost blew through my five years, but, thankfully, received a letter reminding me to book an M test. Based on what you said, I'm guessing your M2 expired. That would explain the new licence in September.

If your entire licence expired in January, you should have received a renewal notice a few months in advance. Even if you didn't receive it, it's your responsibility to renew on time. Have you moved? Maybe the notice was sent to your old address.

My entire license was expired, yes.

I'm unsure if I got a renewal notice or not. I bought this car in October and even returned the plates for my old car in November. I really wish at that point someone in ServiceOntario would have said something.

Anyways, I know it was my fault for letting it expire. I know they're not obligated to remind me to renew it's just sad how someone who has had a license for 20 years gets fined so much solely for not paying the government on time.

Post a Reply