A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

eightfour

Drive Motor Vehicle No Currently Validated Permit (is It A Moving Violation?)

by: eightfour on

So I was driving my dad's secondary beater car and lo and behold he didn't update his sticker (over 1 month) and I got pulled over and received the ticket "drive motor vehicle no currently validated permit."

I got him to renew his sticker (get the e-test, you know the racket) and that was done within a few days of receiving the ticket, and have the receipts and proof.

Do you think if I present this stuff to the JP he/she might withdraw the ticket? Also is this considered a moving violation for insurance purposes? Would a conviction increase my insurance?

Have already met with prosecutor and the dude said he would reduce the fine by a measly $25. My position initially was withdrawal but he wouldn't do that so I requested the ticket be changed to a non-moving violation, and he said he already considers this ticket to be a non-moving violation (I don't think insurance does, don't know) and he couldn't think of any suitable non-moving violations off the top of his head. He said if I could come up with one that fits the circumstances I could get back to him, and maybe, possibly, work something out.

Should I take the matter to the JP?

Please help!!! :(

eightfour

K so I called an insurance company anonymously to inquire and the individual said it results in a "minor conviction," and that indeed it will result in an insurance increase.

So I keep hearing that non-moving violations don't result in an increase but this doesn't appear to be true. Any excuse these jackals can get they will take apparently.

Now I'm wondering if the JP will take into consideration what I've detailed.

Markus

Posting Awards

by: Markus on

eightfour wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 pm

K so I called an insurance company anonymously to inquire and the individual said it results in a "minor conviction," and that indeed it will result in an insurance increase.

So I keep hearing that non-moving violations don't result in an increase but this doesn't appear to be true. Any excuse these jackals can get they will take apparently.

The JP might. Or might give you an even more reduced fine and time to pay it. Or the JP might not. Or the cop may not show up at court.

But I'm curious how you can consider driving without valid registration a non-moving violation. Were you not driving the car on the road? You do know it is your responsibility to make sure any car you drive is registered, yes? It's not just the responsibility of the owner.

eightfour

Markus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm
eightfour wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 pm

The JP might. Or might give you an even more reduced fine and time to pay it. Or the JP might not. Or the cop may not show up at court.

But I'm curious how you can consider driving without valid registration a non-moving violation. Were you not driving the car on the road? You do know it is your responsibility to make sure any car you drive is registered, yes? It's not just the responsibility of the owner.

Well I'm not an HTA expert but I figured moving violations were things such as speeding, not stopping for stop signs, etc... you know where the offence is directly associated with a movement you performed.

So yeah I guess I'm going to court then. I got a few tricks up my sleeve if the cop does indeed show up. Anything I can do to be a thorn in their sides I will.

(oh and car was registered, ownership/insurance was valid, it was just sticker renewal bs they got me for.)

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

This is a tough one to beat. Either the car was registered or it wasn't. I do feel for you though. I've borrowed vehicles from friends and never demanded to see the paperwork. Certainly I should have but you just assume.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Insurance providers will absolutely issue a surcharge for missing particulars and anything in that realm. Any time an officer asks you for a piece of information, whether it's your license, insurance card, etc... If you fail to provide anything and are convicted for it, you will be assessed a minor surcharge by your provider. They'll all be minor unless what you've provided is actually a fake document, then it bumps up.

I totally understand what you were trying to say. A large majority of people like to call these "paper tickets" and are under the impression that they don't count. There's no such thing as paper tickets.

Post a Reply