Seiba

Permit Drive Motor Vehicle W/o Insurance Issued To Operator

by: Seiba on

I was pulled over a month ago, gave officer licence, insurance and ownership. Officer informs me that the vehicle's insurance policy was cancelled a week ago, and my licence was suspended for unpaid fines. Issued summons for "DRIVING WHILE UNDER SUSPENSION" and "OWNER OPERATE MV ON HWY NO INSURANCE". I've reopened the ticket that suspended my licence and am no longer under suspension, I am not too concerned with the first charge. However, the second charge says "OWNER OPERATE MV" as does CAIA 2(1)(a) section it refers to. I am not the owner of the motor vehicle, and informed the owner of the events. He has not received a summons for the insurance offence.

Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall (a) operate the motor vehicle on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. - I am not the owner or lessee

In all likelihood, will the second charge be withdrawn when I attend court? I don't see how I could be convicted of the charge if it does not apply to me.

Post a Reply