Suspension For 6 Years, Racing For 3?

architect

Suspension For 6 Years, Racing For 3?

Unread post by architect »

How does it work when a stunting ticket falls off abstract after 3 years but insurance companies ask about suspensions over 6 years? Suspensions fall off 3 year abstract as well so is it best not to mention the 7-day suspension at all to the question? Thanks.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

I would recommend never being anything other than 100% to insurance companies. You may get a better rate but, if you need them and it's a big claim, you can rest assured they are going to examine what you told them and not pay out if they find any discrepancies.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
architect

How do insurance rate no tickets within 3 years but a suspension within 6 years then? Going to a high-risk insurer has more than doubled my premiums since losing the >50km ticket. I'll have 2 years before the ticket falls off from conviction date so just trying to see what will happen in 2 years. Thanks.

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

When you get a ticket like that,you, go back to like a beginner driver. So each year, after, will lower your rate (if ticket free).

After 3 years of no tickets/no claims, you could shop around a bit, but most likely your present place will suit best.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

viper1 wrote:When you get a ticket like that,you, go back to like a beginner driver. So each year, after, will lower your rate (if ticket free).

After 3 years of no tickets/no claims, you could shop around a bit, but most likely your present place will suit best.

Cheers

Viper1

This isn't really all that correct. A conviction doesn't reverse your status as a driver. If you're a fully licensed G driver over a certain age, that doesn't change.

When you are convicted, you are issued a surcharge percentage. A serious offense is almost always going to be 100%. In that case, your rate would double. If you already pay a lot, it's going to seem like you're paying more than the next guy, but 100% is 100%.

From there, the issue becomes whether or not your provider will keep your standard policy going or boot you altogether. With a serious offense, the chances are they'll show you the door or bump you up to a high risk policy (if they provide it).

As for the original question, it's your duty to provide the most accurate information possible to an insurance provider. That includes before and/or during the time the policy is active. The conviction is on your record for life. It doesn't fall into the abyss after 3 years. However, an insurance provider will use a 3 year abstract to calculate rates. If they ask for your history beyond those 3 years, you have to provide it. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it against you. The 7 day roadside suspension is the least of your worries. It's an administrative suspension. They aren't supposed to charge you for that either way. The problem is your conviction. As already pointed out, if there's ever a claim in the future and they find out you lied on your application, they will tell you to go pound sand. At that point, you'll be out of pocket or you'll have to take the provider to court.

architect

bend wrote:
viper1 wrote:When you get a ticket like that,you, go back to like a beginner driver. So each year, after, will lower your rate (if ticket free).

Cheers

Viper1

This isn't really all that correct. A conviction doesn't reverse your status as a driver. If you're a fully licensed G driver over a certain age, that doesn't change.

When you are convicted, you are issued a surcharge percentage. A serious offense is almost always going to be 100%. In that case, your rate would double. If you already pay a lot, it's going to seem like you're paying more than the next guy, but 100% is 100%.

From there, the issue becomes whether or not your provider will keep your standard policy going or boot you altogether. With a serious offense, the chances are they'll show you the door or bump you up to a high risk policy (if they provide it).

As for the original question, it's your duty to provide the most accurate information possible to an insurance provider. That includes before and/or during the time the policy is active. The conviction is on your record for life. It doesn't fall into the abyss after 3 years. However, an insurance provider will use a 3 year abstract to calculate rates. If they ask for your history beyond those 3 years, you have to provide it. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it against you. The 7 day roadside suspension is the least of your worries. It's an administrative suspension. They aren't supposed to charge you for that either way. The problem is your conviction. As already pointed out, if there's ever a claim in the future and they find out you lied on your application, they will tell you to go pound sand. At that point, you'll be out of pocket or you'll have to take the provider to court.

Thanks for the response. I'm more curious to know what happens if I have a suspension within 6 years but no ticket within 3 years on my premiums. I looked at my abstract and the suspension clearly states that it's associated with racing/stunting/competition. But if they can't penalize me for that suspension, the that's good... I just have to deal with the 100% insurance hike for 2 years.

I notice Jevco didn't have a 100% surcharge for just the racing ticket. But if a criminal (non alcohol) suspension was included, then the premiums would be 100%. So is the suspension categories as criminal and not just administrative?

Thanks.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

If you were suspended as a result of your conviction, it can and will be used against you for the purpose of insurance. I believe the max suspension is up to 2 years for your offense.

If you were suspended roadside, that suspension shouldn't impact your insurance. It's an administrative suspension. At that point in time, you were not convicted of anything.

architect

bend wrote:If you were suspended as a result of your conviction, it can and will be used against you for the purpose of insurance. I believe the max suspension is up to 2 years for your offense.

If you were suspended roadside, that suspension shouldn't impact your insurance. It's an administrative suspension. At that point in time, you were not convicted of anything.

Good to know thanks.

Since this is an administrative suspension only (I did not receive suspension with my conviction), can this be counter as non-criminal and/or "other"? Like I said, Jevco appears to provide a much better rate if the suspension is not criminal related.

Thanks.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

You should just fill out the application and be honest and go to several insurance companies. Then you will know who has the best rate and you will know that they can not drop you in the future because you were honest.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
architect

Just want to confirm for everyone.

Jevco has confirmed I only have a 20% surcharge because I did not have a suspension with my conviction. My roadside suspension is administrative. They are the ONLY ones that differentiates this and I was about to get a quote that's only 20% more than my current premium before the ticket. I only found this out by playing with the online quoting system. Not even the broker knew about this but he has it confirmed with Jevco. I had my lawyer fight off the suspension on conviction so for anyone dealing with an HTA and can't get it dropped to a minor, at least get the suspension off. This is saving me $2300/year for 2 years.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

Good news! Glad you looked into.

OTD Legal

Posting Awards

Unread post by OTD Legal »

architect wrote:Just want to confirm for everyone.

Jevco has confirmed I only have a 20% surcharge because I did not have a suspension with my conviction. My roadside suspension is administrative. They are the ONLY ones that differentiates this and I was about to get a quote that's only 20% more than my current premium before the ticket. I only found this out by playing with the online quoting system. Not even the broker knew about this but he has it confirmed with Jevco. I had my lawyer fight off the suspension on conviction so for anyone dealing with an HTA and can't get it dropped to a minor, at least get the suspension off. This is saving me $2300/year for 2 years.

Thanks for the feedback. The insurance industry can be a bit of a wild west when it comes to risk assessment and insurance rates.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
architect

I also have a clean record prior to this. No accidents. So Jevco rated me 5 out of 6 stars with just the racing ticket (again, no suspension on conviction). So my premium is now $2300 with a 20% surcharge. My Statefarm premium was $2000 prior to the ticket.

If I had any sort of accident claim this would not have worked out. Just want to let people know this is a possible scenario.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

Yes the insurance will consider both at fault insurance claim and convictions.

So you can have an accident, be at fault but not get charged and rate will still go up.

A combination of at fault accident AND a conviction will cause greater rate increase.