Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
cat24

No Right Turn Yonge & Dundas

by: cat24 on

Hi everyone, I received a ticket for no right turn at Yonge and Dundas.

How likely am I to win this ticket and what can I do to fight it?

I'm thinking of hiring a paralegal. Should I wait until I receive the court date to hire one and is it worth it at all?

Thanks in advance!

nometalgear

Posting Awards

by: nometalgear on

It really depends, If you're not planning to change your insurance company/vehicle for the next two years then go for early resolution or go for trial and experience it first hand.

If you already have tickets and demerit points accumulated on your drivers abstract then i'd say dont risk getting your license suspended if you're reaching the maximum demerit points and get a professional.

Good luck,

NM

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

It is hard to comment on a charge until we see the disclosure (officers notes).

I recommend you do not hire a lawyer or paralegal yet as you can do a lot of the up front stuff yourself and save some money.

Plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you receive your Notice of Trial, then send in a letter requesting disclosure (a copy of the officers notes and any audio/video if exists).

Once you get the notes, scan and post here (with personal/officer info blanked out).

This is your right to see the disclosure, and you can plead guilty at anytime up to the trial, so you have nothing to lose by doing this.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
cat24

Thanks everyone. This is my first major ticket. I'm worried about insurance rates and tainting my clean record. My car attracts too much attention. I've been driving for 12 years. Never been pulled over. Ever since I bought this car in Dec 2015 (it is a very bright blue color), I've been pulled over 3 times. One resulting in a warning (15 above speed limit- really?) and a minor ticket (not having licence on me) and then this one.

The first ticket I got was not having a licence on me - I filed a meeting with the prosecutor but received no mail. I was hoping it was thrown out.

jsherk: I will do as you said. Also, if I do hire a paralegal, how much should I be paying for something like this? Do you have anyone you can recommend in the GTA? Thanks in advance!

cat24

nometalgear wrote:
cat24 wrote:

I agree with Jsherk, GEt disclosure first. A good lawyer and a prudent one shouldn't charge more than 150-200 depending on how nice you talk to them haha.

Good luck

Oh man. I got quoted $400 and I was very hesitant of hiring one as I've been told that $150-200 is the benchmark.

Do you know any good Lawyers here? Thanks

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

I want to say that tickets like this one are usually the hardest type to beat because they basically rely only on the officers testimony. Officer says you did it. You say you didn't. Who do you think the JP will believe? A speeding ticket is easier to beat because you can challenge things besides what the officer said, like the radar device. So unless there is something missing from officers notes, it will be very difficult to win.

Anyways, here are my thoughts on lawyers/paralegals...

SHOULD I HIRE A PARALEGAL/LAWYER?

Points to conisder:

- Do not hire any paralegal/lawyer that suggests they can win without seeing the disclosure first.

- Only hire a paralegal/lawyer that will review the disclosure with you and suggest possible defenses to try and fight it.

- Do not hire any paralegal/lawyer that considers "negotiating a plea deal" a win. Although a plea deal might be the best choice for you, some paralegals do not try to fight at all and will only negotiate plea deals and then they say they "won".

- Do not hire any paralegal/lawyer that "gurantees a win or you don't pay" as this is illegal in Ontario.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
cat24

jsherk wrote:I want to say that tickets like this one are usually the hardest type to beat because they basically rely only on the officers testimony. Officer says you did it. You say you didn't. Who do you think the JP will believe? A speeding ticket is easier to beat because you can challenge things besides what the officer said, like the radar device. So unless there is something missing from officers notes, it will be very difficult to win.

Thanks for your advice.

That's what I was just going to ask. That speeding tickets are easier because you can challenge his radar readings etc.

How possible is this to win though? What if the court date is 11 months from now and he forgets, won't remember, etc? Also forgot to mention, my birthdate was wrong. Can this be thrown out?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

cat24 wrote:Thanks everyone. This is my first major ticket. I'm worried about insurance rates and tainting my clean record. My car attracts too much attention. I've been driving for 12 years. Never been pulled over. Ever since I bought this car in Dec 2015 (it is a very bright blue color), I've been pulled over 3 times. One resulting in a warning (15 above speed limit- really?) and a minor ticket (not having licence on me) and then this one.

In terms of insurance, there's no difference between these tickets. They are equal.

cat24 wrote:The first ticket I got was not having a licence on me - I filed a meeting with the prosecutor but received no mail. I was hoping it was thrown out.

Perhaps you should check your status instead of hoping.

cat24 wrote: What if the court date is 11 months from now and he forgets, won't remember, etc?

They write notes.

cat24 wrote: Also forgot to mention, my birthdate was wrong. Can this be thrown out?

no.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

it's not a major ticket, it is a minor one, and most insurance companies regard it as such

cat24 wrote:Thanks everyone. This is my first major ticket. I'm worried about insurance rates and tainting my clean record. My car attracts too much attention. I've been driving for 12 years. Never been pulled over. Ever since I bought this car in Dec 2015 (it is a very bright blue color), I've been pulled over 3 times. One resulting in a warning (15 above speed limit- really?) and a minor ticket (not having licence on me) and then this one.

The first ticket I got was not having a licence on me - I filed a meeting with the prosecutor but received no mail. I was hoping it was thrown out.

jsherk: I will do as you said. Also, if I do hire a paralegal, how much should I be paying for something like this? Do you have anyone you can recommend in the GTA? Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply