A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Is This Legal?

by: UnluckyDuck on

So the other day my brother and I were flying down the 407 EB near the 400. I would estimate we're doing around 170-180km/h. I notice an unmarked cruiser in the middle lane and slow down to 120km/h. My brother notices the officer later than I did and ends up passing him doing around 140 km/h. Seeing the officer pacing him, I get in between the cop and my brother, constantly varying my speed between 85-110. My brother pulls away with the cop still behind me. The officer follows me for about 1.5 kms before putting on his lights and pulling me over. The reason behind it was I was changing my speed so he suspected I was impaired. Took my license back to his car, came back said don't be stupid and drive the speed limit.

So, out of curiosity, what could I have been charged with in that situation?

Mugwug

by: Mugwug on

Impaired? Had you been.

An officer may stop any vehicle at any time to check for sobriety, licencing, insurance or the mechanical condition of the vehicle. If you are driving erratically (by varrying your speed as you say) he'd be foolish not to stop you and make sure everything was ok.

By your own admission however what you were doing was "obstructing" him in the performance of his duties - and that carries penalties outside the HTA if proven.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Is this legal?

If you're actually asking that question, you're either trolling or shouldn't be on the road.

Thread locked.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca