Question About Annual Inspection Stickers

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Corey06

Question About Annual Inspection Stickers

Unread post by Corey06 »

Hey everybody I am new here and just had a question regarding the yellow annual safety stickers. I just bought a use enclosed snowmobile trailer which is a tandem axle it is 18' with a 5' v-nose. I drive a 2014 GMC 2500HD with the duramax diesel engine. I have taken the trailer Up North snowmobiling once and passed a MTO Officer and he never did anything. But I have no clue if I need to have this truck and trailer inspected or not. I have a friend that owns his own shop and he does truck and trailer inspections and he said I would not have to have the truck and trailer inspected, he said sled or boat trailer does not need a yellow sticker if the truck or trailer isn't under a business name. But I keep reading all this stuff about if truck and trailer weight is over 4500kg you need the yellow sticker so I have no clue. I just don't want to get a ticket, the truck is only used for recreational use, same with the trailer, if someone could help me out I would appreciate it!! I will have to check in the morning what the weight of the truck and trailer is.

F350

Unread post by F350 »

Taken from the HTA directly. NOTE SUB SECTION (g) (i) (ii)

Highway Traffic Act

Code de la route

ONTARIO REGULATION 199/07

Commercial motor vehicle inspections

Consolidation Period: From January 1, 2015 to the e-Laws currency date.

Last amendment: O. Reg. 242/14.

part I

Interpretation AND Application

Definitions and interpretation

1. (1) In section 107 of the Act and in this Regulation,

"commercial motor vehicle" includes a school purposes vehicle BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE,

(a) a commercial motor vehicle, other than a bus or school purposes vehicle, having a gross weight or registered gross weight of not more than 4,500 kilograms,

(b) an ambulance, a cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, a fire apparatus, a hearse, a casket wagon, a mobile crane, a motor home or a vehicle commonly known as a tow truck,

(c) a commercial motor vehicle operated under a permit and number plates issued under a regulation made under clause 7 (24) (g) or (h) of the Act that is not transporting passengers or goods,

(d) a commercial motor vehicle operated under the authority of an In-Transit permit issued under Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Vehicle Permits) made under the Act,

(e) a commercial motor vehicle leased for 30 days or less by an individual for the purpose of transporting goods for the individuals personal use or for the carriage of passengers for no compensation,

(f) a commercial motor vehicle that is a historic vehicle within the meaning of section 1 of Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Vehicle Permits) made under the Act and that has a vehicle permit for a historic vehicle,

(g) a pick-up truck that,

(i) is being used for personal purposes without compensation, and

(ii) is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying, commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes, or

(h) a bus that is used for personal purposes without compensation;