A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Chingo

Annual Vehicle Inspection Sticker

by: Chingo on

I've talked to MTO, cops, mechanics etc... and get a different story from each one. Why does a Dodge Ram 3500 that is used for personnal use need a Inspection sticker. It is not a commercial vehicle and i only use it to haul motorbikes, and a toy hauler occasionally. Can anyone answer this? I see my same vehicle and some have it and some don't. Are the ones that don't going to get a ticket sooner or later?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I think there is an exemption for personal use commercial-plated vehicles, but there cannot be anything of a commercial nature in the truck, not even tools or a toolbox.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

from hwybear http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com ... eight#3995

"commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle having permanently attached thereto a truck or delivery body and includes ambulances, hearses, casket wagons, fire apparatus, buses and tractors used for hauling purposes on the highways

However, for the purposes of being charged as a commercial motor vehicle (higher fines) the RGW (registered gross weight) has to be OVER 4500kgs.

So you are definitely "hauling". The question is how much does it weigh?

Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Chingo wrote:I've talked to MTO, cops, mechanics etc... and get a different story from each one. Why does a Dodge Ram 3500 that is used for personnal use need a Inspection sticker. It is not a commercial vehicle and i only use it to haul motorbikes, and a toy hauler occasionally. Can anyone answer this? I see my same vehicle and some have it and some don't. Are the ones that don't going to get a ticket sooner or later?

I can certainly answer this. I was certified as a "Diesel Bear" too. Same credentials as MTO and trained by them.

Every pickup is in fact a commercial vehicle.

Any vehicle with a Registered Gross Weight (RGW on ownership) OR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR as appearing on the Vehicle Placard...located on drivers door) must have an annual safety inspection when the weight is over 4,500kgs.

Here is an example of a Vehicle Placard, installed by manufacturer.

Now for other stuff the RGW must be over 4500kgs and then the vehicle must comply with a:

- log book

- CVOR

- Inspection Report

however, here is the excemption, that if the vehicle is only being used for personal use and has NO modifications from a stock vehicle from a factory(no fifth wheel attachments, no work style truck caps, no tire change, no big push grills etc..), then up to 6,000kgs, a person does not need a CVOR, log or inspection report

Last edited by hwybear on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Chingo

CVOR must now be renewed every year. $100 to sign up for program, $50 a year from then on.

However, CVOR not required for pickups up to 6000KG and no log book required.

My truck ways over 4500KG but less than 6000KG. I use it for personal use as described before. My owenership states 3800KG but i still need that annual inspection sticker because they go by truck not ownership unless it is to their advantage to go by owenrship to charge you,.

Our laws are unclear and written in such away that the average lay person is at a disadvantage to the officer who stands before you. But then we live in ONTARIO A POLICE STATE and i guess i should expect no less.

I wish they would be clear and concise and leave a pickup regardless of weight alone. I would rather drive my 3500ram and pull a trailer than a 2500 with single back wheels. It is safer and less stress on truck. But for that i get penalized.

I can't seem to keep up with the changing rules and ignorance is no excuse unless you are a cop or in government. You will be charged.

WELCOME TO ONTARIO A POLICE STATE!
Your guilty and there is no innocence.
Chingo

I was just charged for no sticker, my truck is stock and has no fifth wheel attachment. It does weigh over 4500KG. The officer said all trucks over 4500Kg must have a sticker regardless of use. I guess i had just been lucky up till then. Now i have additional expenses each year.

hwybear

Posting Awards

CVOR fees

FEE SCHEDULE, EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 1, 2008

$250

Application for and issuance of an original CVOR certificate

Re-instate a CVOR certificate after it has been invalid for more that 12 months

Re-instate a terminated CVOR certificate after its expiry date.

$100

A one-time fee to convert a non-expiring certificate to an expiring certificate, during the two-year transition period.

$50

Annual Renewal fee after the two-year conversion period.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

so the government makes the laws, the police see a violation and it is a police state...alrighty then.

No blame for someone that makes a purchase or upgrades with a larger purchase and does not make appropriate inquiries.. Kind of like just go buy a vessel and toss it in the water, but don't look up laws applicable to the use of the vessel? Or just build a garage in the backyard as I can purchase the wood, shingles and nails, whats wrong with that?

No blame for the dealership that makes the sale?. The dealership usually does all the registration stuff, plus they can issue the annual safety.......but seems they want the 40k for the sale of a vehicle, but don't give a rats behind about the person who made the purchase. If anything they should be right on top of things before that vehicle leaves the lot, possibly even waiver/check box thing so the purchaser has been completely informed.

The laws for pickups actually have become more complicated. Used to be everything at 4,500kgs required everything, plain and simple. About 3 yrs ago, the laws were slacked off for larger pickups that typically pulled 5th wheel campers, hence the 6,000kgs personal excemption. It just did not make sense for a family to need a log book, inspection report and CVOR for a camping trip. It does make sense to keep the annual safety due to the weight, braking, stopping distance of the heavier vehicles.

There are other laws pertaining to the weights (not applicable in this case) that I wonder, why did the gov't pick that weight? Why not make it all the same number across the board.

Chingo

Sorry you misunderstood my POLICE STATE protest. It is directed toward the cowboys that abuse the 203 and other laws by pulling us over and harrassing us. I realize that there are alot of honest hard working police officers out there. But i am sick and tired of all the new laws they have implemented and are trying to implement when our highway act covered everything in one form or another already. When they start telling me who i can have on my motorbike, or tailgate me trying to push me over the speed limit, or pull me over for no reason, or endanger my life so the can give me a ticket, and i watch the same police break law after law, THAT IS OUT OF CONTROL. and yes we now live in a POLICE STATE and it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$ so they can justify a paycheck in the name of keeping us safe. LOL If they want us to follow the laws all cops should set an example by going out of their way to obey them also. BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE and never will be. Do as we say not as we do. Sorry i don't go along with that and warn everyone about our province in my travels. In the end it will hurt Ontario's economy as the word get's out.

The facts and processes they use to pass these laws are a JOKE and fraudulent if a memeber of the public was to try the same thing.

I'm sure you are one of the good police officers that care, unfortunatly there are many of your comrades that don't.

Chingo

Just to add that i do appreciate the information that you have given me.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Chingo wrote:Just to add that i do appreciate the information that you have given me.

thanks Chingo! I also likewise appreciate the clarification on "cowboys" :wink:

just read over the top post again...you mention MTO. Only regards I have to this is to use caution actually getting advise from the MTO offices where they give out licences and plates. No disrespect to the people there, but most often they are entry clerks and know the bare bones of the act.

I would recommend calling an MTO Truck Inspection Station or even stopping in and speaking to the enforcement officers. An alternate is contact your local police, but ask to speak to the "traffic section/unit". Then ask to speak to an officer that is CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) trained. The CVSA officer has been trained the same as an MTO officer.

Post a Reply