A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Jlarge1

Looking For Reduction, What Option Is Best?

by: Jlarge1 on

First thanks for reading this.

I got ticketed doing 71 in a 50 around 3am in the morning on Yonge. The roads were empty, the police officer had a clear view of my vehicle, and even showed me the radar guns reading. He also informed me that we were being recorded during the ticketing.

I'm looking to get a reduction, my insurance rep said that no points would be forgiven, but 3 points might increase my insurance rate, so my question is what option gives the best chance of a plea bargain? Is it better for me to take it to court or to take option 2?

Is there something I have to say to the prosecutor or the JP to get a reduction?

I have until the 10th of December to decide which option.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Jlarge1 wrote:I'm looking to get a reduction, my insurance rep said that no points would be forgiven, but 3 points might increase my insurance rate

Points only stay on your record 2 years from the day you were pulled over. Your conviction is going to be used against you for longer than that and starts the day you plead guilty. Maybe they were trying to simplify the conversation, but the conviction is what they're going to care about at the end of the day.

Jlarge1 wrote:what option gives the best chance of a plea bargain? Is it better for me to take it to court or to take option 2?

If you're simply looking for a reduction in the quickest amount of time possible, just pick the early resolution meeting. They'll do the same thing at a trial. Picking a trial keeps all your options open at least.

Jlarge1 wrote:Is there something I have to say to the prosecutor or the JP to get a reduction?

Not really. If there's room to play with and your ticket hasn't already been reduced, they'll just offer you something on the spot and you can either take it or leave it.

Post a Reply