A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

tdrive2

Transport Trucks Limited To 105 Km/h?

by: tdrive2 on

May i ask this question regarding transport trucks limited to 105 km/h. Moving road blocks or safety?

IMO it isnt speed that kills. I find transport trucks infact help keep the road going. With cars that choose to not move to the right and slow down the middle lane the trucks would try to pass in their passing lane therefore the slower traffic would move right.

Putting the trucks down more is just going to make our roads more dangerous. I dont think some see the law of the unseen consequences. Now your going to have trucks in the right lane or in the middle lane. They are slowing the highway down even more. IF the middle lane is only moving at 105 or the right lane is this means the slower traffic is now travelling in the 2 most left lanes.

If a truck wants to pass at 105 in the middle lane and dad in the mini van wants to go 115 then he has the whole left lane going 125-130 km. This causes road rage and tail gating. If the truck stays in the right lanes this means all the slow drivers who stay under 110 are in the middle lane.

This is messing with the flow of traffic and i see it as making the road worse.

But dont forget something else. It will now be harder to merge into the right lane.. And with our ending right lanes this will be challenging and dangerous.

Some drives have far distances to cover, they drive faster. If all the slow drivers are now in the 2 left most lanes that otherwise wouldnt be if the trucks weren't limited now these cars need to drive slower.

but they wont, they will tailgate. and if tailgating doesnt work then they will pass on the right. As we know weaving through traffic is dangerous.

The highway is safest when people drive around the 85th percentile and people obey basic rules such slower traffic moving to the right to allow faster traffic to move.

Messing with the flow of traffic and trying to artificially lower the speed limit is sure not a way to make our major highways safer.

tdrive2

My point here is by limiting the speed of the trucks your changing the flow of traffic and messing with the speed of it. It also plays with the laness. It causes problems. And this is just going to lead to slowing down the highway followed by more tailgating, aggressive upset drivers, and as a result passing on the right or using dangerous methods to pass slow traffic.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

I would like to see all cars governed as well.

Driving in the middle lane of the highway is also an offence

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Bookm

by: Bookm on

hwybear wrote:I would like to see all cars governed as well.

Well duh! You're a traffic cop!! LOL

Not trying to be rude or anything, but virtually every police officer started young in their adult life and have very little experience working in private industry. So it's natural that the police have no idea what the REAL pace of the economy is. It would be impossible for them to understand that contracts are gained and lost based on timely completion of work.

This is why most speeders are middle-aged male drivers. The guy in his BMW wearing a suit and tie has a lot of pressure on him to perform. We expect him to perform a multitude of tasks during his work day. Then we expect him to jump in his car and conform to an "unnaturally" slow speed limit?? Not bloody likely!

I don't expect Julian Fantino (or any other police officer) to understand the "human" element of driving. Fortunately, massive public opinion would surely destroy any government party that would attempt to pass legislation governing the speed of their personal vehicles.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

hwybear wrote:Driving in the middle lane of the highway is also an offence

How often is that enforced? From what I've seen, almost no one except the truckers and the very rare driver drives in the right lane. When I drive on the 401 between Windsor and Tilbury, which is mostly three lanes in each direction, I have the right lane all to myself because everyone is in the middle or left lane. In a lot of cases there will be people in the middle of nowhere tooling along in the left lane for no apparent reason. Not once have I seen anyone stopped for it, except in Toronto where the TPS nail the driver who's holding up traffic. Drive the 401 or QEW near Toronto in the middle of the night and there will be people stacked up in the second-to-left lane and all other lanes are clear. I never see any of them get stopped.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Most driver's training courses always stress that, while on the highway such as 400 series, it is best practice to keep the right lane clear to allow for easier merging/exiting for other drives... Seems to make sense, especially when the highway is almost empty. Nothing worse a moron doing 100 right beside you when you are trying to merge.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

Bookm wrote:[

Not trying to be rude or anything, but virtually every police officer started young in their adult life and have very little experience working in private industry. So it's natural that the police have no idea what the REAL pace of the economy is. It would be impossible for them to understand that contracts are gained and lost based on timely completion of work.

Has nothing to do with any profession. It is the piss poor way society has gone. Also can look to how many failed marriages due to this. Many an employer does not give a rats ass about anything as long as it gets done. And there are the people willing to do it whatever it takes! for the all mighty dollar even under cut the next guy to do it.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
tdrive2

I know but the problem here is the limit is slow. People think its a joke and dont pay attention. They think they can do anything on the highway as long as they dont get a speeding ticket.

People need to realize there is also very dangerous things on the highway such as not obeying basic rules such as moving right and paying attention.

But every time all they hear is tickets for speeding they are lead to believe aslong as they dont speed anything will do.

On the autobahn one of the most serious offenses is not moving to the right.

Limiting trucks and trying to mess with the flow of traffic i think is going to have unintended consequences.

How come we only care about the speed of transports.

They do way worse things such as unsecured loads, old tires that could burst, drivers that are sleepy swerving all over the road from being to tired. I have seen transports with debrey flying off them that could smash your wind sheild.

Why dont we care about this, rather than a truck doing 120 km/h? I mean there is so many more dangerous things on our road to focus on the speed only distracts from the real problem.

hwybear

Posting Awards

tdrive2 wrote:How come we only care about the speed of transports.

They do way worse things such as unsecured loads, old tires that could burst, drivers that are sleepy swerving all over the road from being to tired. I have seen transports with debrey flying off them that could smash your wind sheild..

You don't see it but I do.....cars are equally to blame for this same stuff and we stop both cars, T/T alike for this. Just everyone "assumes" the car or truck is pulled over for speeding.

I personally have more "other HTA" charges per month as compared to speeding!

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

racer wrote:Most driver's training courses always stress that, while on the highway such as 400 series, it is best practice to keep the right lane clear to allow for easier merging/exiting for other drives

I was taught "lane of least resistance," (Young Drivers) meaning the one offering the most forward visibility. I usually just keep right because most of the time it offers the most forward visibility, and if someone is going to come tearing up the highway they're not likely to be in that lane, so they'll blow past me and continue off in the distance. Most people are stacked up in the centre lane anyway. Also it's the truckers' passing lane and often there will be a truck caught behind someone in the centre lane, unable to pass, so they're tailgating. If I see an on-ramp and someone is coming onto the highway, I move left to let them on, no big deal, same as if the road is 2 lanes in each direction.

I also don't like driving in the centre lane as a habit because that sometimes results in vehicles on both my left and right, which blocks my "escape routes" and increases the likelihood of someone sideswiping me. At least if I'm in the right lane the shoulder's almost always available if required for an evasive manoeuvre. That's just my personal preference.

tdrive2

Just driving today on the 401. For those that clog the left lane open upset people will drive into the right lane to get around them.

Now with transports going to be slowing the left lane and screwing with the flow of traffic even more i am gonna be scared to see how desperate these people get to pass.

Some people want to drive slower, move right, some faster, pass on the left.

Any attempt to mess with this will have unintended results. People who refuse to go faster will not go faster. People who want to drive faster will go faster.

No matter how slow the guy in front goes he will cause a pile up of cars regardless what speed. It is just a matter of time before you have a massive line of cars going "to close." So they will just swerve through traffic to pass the person slowing it down.

I dont know what others see but i see it all the time and i think its the most dangerous situation on the highway. Focusing on trying to enforce a low speed limit and other laws takes away from bigger problems such as lane discipline, common sense, and paying attention and not being distracted.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

I see slow drivers blocking the left lane every time I'm on the 401. Though I realize many in this province feel it's some sort of insult or threat, I flash my high-beams (passing beams) all the time. Sometimes it works... usually it doesn't.

Post a Reply