Letter Informing Vehicle Owner That Car Was Seen Speeding

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

ynotp

Posting Awards

Letter Informing Vehicle Owner That Car Was Seen Speeding

Unread post by ynotp »

I came across a letter mailed to a family member from the local police station stating that a car displaying plates registered to them was seen going 7 kph over the limit. It states that they should make sure that whoever is driving the car, does so more carefully and that no other action is necessary.

I am thinking this is a great way to make people more aware of safety without wasting the officer's time or tying them up in court for trivial offences.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Depending on the nature of the complaint, most police services take some action regarding driving complaints. I know the OPP are big on sending out warning letters. Many other police services simply have an officer call the registered owner.

Still though, Im curious how a) someone determined your family was going 7 km/hr over the limit and b) they were actually bothered enough by it to call in a complaint.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

According to the letter they were auxiliary officers. The driver recalls seeing them from way down the road and says they were standing on the corner but did not see a car or a measurement device. According to her, she always drives at or about the limit.

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

It could be a roadwatch letter, and some jurisdictions outline how consecutive complaints could result in an officer detailed to follow you and monitor your driving.

Lets say you were stopped down the road for speeding, can the officer see previous roadwatch letters for that the vehicle's plate/owner by the side of the road? Is roadwatch information available to the prosecution/courts?

http://www.peelpolice.on.ca/en/aboutus/roadwatch.asp
http://www.roadwatch.ca/
hawaii

Unread post by hawaii »

ynotp wrote:I came across a letter mailed to a family member from the local police station stating that a car displaying plates registered to them was seen going 7 kph over the limit. It states that they should make sure that whoever is driving the car, does so more carefully and that no other action is necessary.

I am thinking this is a great way to make people more aware of safety without wasting the officer's time or tying them up in court for trivial offences.

Whoa.... Someone has way too much time on their hands... Soccer mom??? These are the people that worry me. Sad , Really.

hawaii

Unread post by hawaii »

ynotp wrote:According to the letter they were auxiliary officers. The driver recalls seeing them from way down the road and says they were standing on the corner but did not see a car or a measurement device. According to her, she always drives at or about the limit.

Maybe these modern day Robin Hoods can offer their time and support doing something a little more worthwhile.