A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Question On Intersections

by: bobajob on

I'm kinda confused.

I saw this...

Sorry to slightly hijack this;

Q>Is it against the law to wait in an intersection until the light turns red before turning left?

A>This is one of the most frequently asked questions. Motorists approaching a signalized intersection intending to turn left should enter the intersection only on a green light. Once in the intersection the motorist should not complete their turn until it can be done in complete safety. If this means waiting through the amber light until the light turns red, thats fine. You must ensure that all oncoming traffic has come to a stop.

So turning left at an intersection.

Scenario 1> I get to an intersection, on an Amber, I can proceed with caution

2> I get to an intersection or roll up to that after cars have gone through on a red or just turned red, I cant proceed

3> I get into the middle of the intersection on a green, traffic only stops or dispearses on amber, I can proceed?

4> I get into the middle of the intersection on a green, traffic only stops or dispearses on RED, I can't proceed? I have to stay stuck in the middle?

So say in scenario 3 or 4, I follow behind a car thats gone into a intersection, as the car goes through, MY light goes amber or RED, what should I do.

In the real world, should you go follow behind into an intersection, say in heavy traffic if you are the only one, should you still go into the intersection

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

Scenario 1 - If you're in a queue of cars waiting to turn left, you can not enter the intersection from a dead-stop against an amber light. (HTA S.144 (15))

Scenario 2 - Ok

Scenario 3 - Yes, and you need to clear the intersection as soon as possible. If you linger around for too long you will be obstructing cross-traffic (HTA S.170 (12))

Scenario 4 - Treat it the same as scenario #3... you need to proceed through as soon as possible. Do not wait for cross-traffic to get going, be assertive (use your car horn & flash high beams if necessary) and complete your turn.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... uote]Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).[/quote]So think about how you would explain to the courts how you were "unable to safely stop your vehicle" from a dead-stop?

You can only enter the intersection against a green light, if it's a large intersection where more than one vehicle can queue up inside it. In my opinion, everyone should squeeze inside, and clear it as soon as possible; this isn't against the law, but some may view this as bad practice and prefer one vehicle to turn for every traffic cycle.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... te]Parking on roadway

170. Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

[/quote]

It also helps to do an S-turn while you enter the intersection, so as you wait you're as visible as possible. http://www.wheels.ca/feature/how-to-saf ... you-think/

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

Hey thanks man

pretty good info

on scenario 4, i should flash the oncoming traffic? wow. never seen that done,

The large intersection is the problem isnt it? as your more than likly going to go through a RED especially if your the 4th car or so

Saw the s turn but didnt hear the sound as I'm at work, I think I got the jist though.

Like this morning a smal intersection and 1 car in front of me, he waited for the tyraffic to come to a DEAD stop, then went through on an amber just turening red,

I went through on a red. Dilema? what do I do ? well as I always have go through.

TO avoid it and as my wife always say's DONT enter the intersection unless your way to go is free?

iFly55 wrote:Scenario 1 - If you're in a queue of cars waiting to turn left, you can not enter the intersection from a dead-stop against an amber light. (HTA S.144 (15))

Scenario 2 - Ok

Scenario 3 - Yes, and you need to clear the intersection as soon as possible. If you linger around for too long you will be obstructing cross-traffic (HTA S.170 (12))

Scenario 4 - Treat it the same as scenario #3... you need to proceed through as soon as possible. Do not wait for cross-traffic to get going, be assertive (use your car horn & flash high beams if necessary) and complete your turn.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... uote]Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).

So think about how you would explain to the courts how you were "unable to safely stop your vehicle" from a dead-stop?

You can only enter the intersection against a green light, if it's a large intersection where more than one vehicle can queue up inside it. In my opinion, everyone should squeeze inside, and clear it as soon as possible; this isn't against the law, but some may view this as bad practice and prefer one vehicle to turn for every traffic cycle.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... te]Parking on roadway

170. Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

[/quote]

It also helps to do an S-turn while you enter the intersection, so as you wait you're as visible as possible. http://www.wheels.ca/feature/how-to-saf ... you-think/[/quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply