Is It Illegal To Turn Into The Further Lane?

Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.

Is It Illegal To Turn Into The Further Lane?

Unread post by 12345 »

Hi everyone,

A few questions here, sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find the answers in the search function.

Option 1: I am turning left onto a two lane road in a one lane turn section, is it illegal to turn into the further lane?

Option 2: I am turning left onto a two lane road in a two lane turn section, is it illegal to turn into the further lane?

I know that it is safe driving procedure to keep in your turning lane but is it actually a fineable offence if you turned into the further lane? As the options above state, does it make any difference if it is a one or two lane turn? Obviously assuming that no one is in the other turning lane. If it is a fineable offence, what would it qualify under? Can the police officer give you a reckless driving ticket for doing so? It seems the guidelines for reckless driving is variable and dependant on what that officer deems necessary so I was just curious if these examples could qualify for something like that.

Also, I know that it is the right turn's right of way (unless there is a green arrow) but if there are two lanes and both vehicles turn at the same time and the vehicle turning right goes into the further (left) lane causing a collision with the person turning left and sticking to their lane, who would be at fault?

The final question (which is probably answered by the first), is it a fineable offence to turn right onto the furthest left lane of a two lane road?

Thanks for your time and sorry again if this has already been answered.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

In short, yes. You're required by law to turn into the closest lane or when there are multiple turn lanes, the corresponding lane from where you started your turn. The only exception are large vehicles that are physically incapable of turning into the closest lane. The most likely charge for such an offence would be "improper right/left turn". It is a 2 demerit point offence and the set fine is $110.

breakfast

Unread post by breakfast »

it is illegal. It sure doesnt stop 80% (pulled that number from my .a... but its a high) of people from doing it. And they dont generally enforce it.