Unfortunately, the insurance from my glove box was also unknowingly removed for my car, so I got a ticket for no insurance too. BLAST!
Despite the two tickets, the cop was pretty nice. He adamantly encouraged me to fight the tickets.
1) If I prove I had/have valid insurance, that ticket will be dropped
2) He will drop the demerit points on the left hand turn ticket if I go to court
I'm seriously not the person to challenge my guilt on the turn - construction had made it impossible to turn left off of King Street ANYWHERE and there was a serious opening in traffic that I took advantage of by taking the turn. Sure as hell wasn't dangerous, just obviously illegal.
So now I have my court date in June and have no idea how this is going to work and how I am going to defend myself.
1) What do I need to bring for insurance? Just my insurance slips?
2) HOW do I get points dropped on the left hand turn? "Yes um I'm guilty, but the cop told me to come here today and he'd drop the points"
2) The police officer has no authority to make deals once the ticket has been issued. He can only recommend to the Crown that you be offered a reduction or plea deal. Furthermore, points can't be waived. If you're found guilty of an offence that carries points, you get them automatically. The only way to avoid points is to be found not guilty or work out a deal to plead to a different offence that doesn't carry any points.
In your case, you'll probably be offered a deal to plead guilty to one offence in exchange for the other charge being dropped.
I had a similar ticket once(the cop said to fight it)
I had a first attendance meeting. I told her the cop said the charge would be dropped. She freaked out a bit.
Saying he should have said that.
She dropped it their though.
My guess is they do not want anyone to bring things like that up in court.
My other guess is that if you took your insurance slip to the first attendance meeting that charge would be dropped.
Then tell them about what the cop said. you might get offered a bylaw ticket instead.
Main thing is you want that insurance ticket dropped.
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
use at your own risk"