Questions About Suspended License

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

wats8790

Questions About Suspended License

Unread post by wats8790 »

Hello,

I received a notice for a suspended license today. It is due to an unpaid ticket escalation. I received a ticket for not having my license renewed quick enough (outstanding emissions test). I took care of the emissions test and the license renewal immediately, but I promptly lost my ticket and forgot about it completely. Life gets in the way I guess. Obviously this was a very stupid thing to do. I do not believe I received a letter preparing me for the suspension. However, I do know that a drivers license is a privilege and I should have been more organized (on both cases). I will go to the MTO to pay the fine and the reinstatement fee tomorrow. I do have a few questions.

1) How long does it take to get reinstated? Does it get reinstated the moment I pay and then I simply receive my license in the mail later?

2) Insurance premium effect. I have no other transgression on my record, no moving vehicle infractions. Approximately what percentage increase will I see? Are specific companies more lenient on suspensions for late payments. Alternatively, is there a way to remove this from my driving record that my insurer would see?P Perhaps pleading guilty, or somehow reducing it, or paying a different type of fine?

3) Job implications. I currently insure my own car, but within the year I may move into a role than provides a vehicle and requires driving. The company would normally pay this insurance. Is there a way to mitigate the potential problems caused? My company uses a 3rd party to organize their vehicles so it may be a non-issue but I would still like to hear an advice or opinions?

I appreciate all help. It is frustrating to have this problem as it is a crime of absent-mindedness rather than maliciousness.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

You need to go to the court or municipal office to pay the fine, after paid, take that receipt to MTO for reinstatement of your licence.. Btw there is a reinstatement fee

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
trenchknife

Unread post by trenchknife »

It is not immediate either. It can take a few days to show in the system that your licence is no longer suspended. So do not expect to pay the ticket at 12:00 and be good to drive at 12:01.

Do not take anything I say as legal advice. Only a lawyer can give legal advice. I am not a lawyer.