Suspended On License

rheaume89

Suspended On License

Unread post by rheaume89 »

What should I do. I moved from Ontario 2 years ago and switched my license over to alberta and gave them my ontario license. I even had my mail forwarded for a period to my new address. I was aware I had a fine but assumed I would receive something in the mail. Works slow so we decided to move back to ontario and keep our place in Alberta so I could fly back and forth for work. We are all settled in and picked up some work from a previous employer to help out with the move and until I have to go back . I got pulled over out of town heading to where I would be working. They ran my name and told me I had an unpaid fine. I am being charged . I had no idea that my license would have been suspended. My ontario abstract was even showing my license as canceled ? Like I would risk driving that far with 3 daughters under the ages of 4 if I knew that. And here's the messed up part. They took my alberta license and fined My alberta license . Like wtf . If my ontario license was valid then why the hell are you writing up a fine for my alberta license. I paid the fine and had basically no choice but to go reinstate my ontario license because they kept my alberta one. I don't feel like I guilty of driving with a suspended license because I had no idea or I would of simply paid the dam thing rather then miss lots of work and being stranded

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

If you have an unpaid fine in Ontario then your license will be suspended. If you move to another jurisdiction you can drive there no problem but if you ever drive again in Ontario (even with an Alberta license) without paying outstanding Ontario fines you will be charged with driving under suspension and your license will be seized.

You don't really have a defense to this because you were aware you had an unpaid ticket and the onus is on you to pay it. If you don't receive mail asking for payment you are supposed to call the court house and make arrangements to pay.

Now the driving under suspension ticket may have your Alberta license # on it but the penalties imposed fines and further suspensions will apply to your ability to drive in Ontario. So you should deal with the charge as best you can. Based on the circumstances there's a good chance you can plead this down to a minor charge.

laviejha

Unread post by laviejha »

My spouse has 2 driving under suspension and 1 driving disqualified convictions within a year and a half originating from a dui conviction over 80. He keeps driving. What are the consequences to him for another disqualified conviction? And what would be the consequences to the owner of the vehicle, me?

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

The maximum punishment for driving while disqualified is 5 years in prison. If he already has several previous convictions I think the chances of him getting jail time if gets caught again are quite high. You should also be aware that your insurance won't cover him if he gets into an accident which could leave both of you financially liable for any damage or injuries he might cause.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

laviejha wrote:My spouse has 2 driving under suspension and 1 driving disqualified convictions within a year and a half originating from a dui conviction over 80. He keeps driving. What are the consequences to him for another disqualified conviction? And what would be the consequences to the owner of the vehicle, me?

You need to get him to stop driving your vehicle. This could be a life-changing event for him and for you. Either he is driving the vehicle with your permission in which case you can land yourself in a world of trouble or he is stealing it and you'd better report it.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !