belld

Careless Driving By Bumping Into Car Backing In

by: belld on

Situation:

I was driving down winchester rd e, straight out of 407 and a car infront of me stopped to do a back in into his drive way. Since it wasn't a residential area, by the time i realize he was to stop completely in such a busy 2 way road, i simply fail to stop due to slightly slippery road. ( Had winter tires) Now since nobody got hurt and officer didn't come to the spot, we went to a report center and the officers there wanted to charge me careless driving. My front end got crush and some fluid leaked out, but engine and steer is fine, and his car only got a shattered windshield + dented bumper ( his windshield only got shatter because he had a snow blower in the back that hit the window). Now i am really lost on what to do since this is my first accident. I chose the option to meet with the prosecutor because i didn't know what to do, they told me i still have my trial even if i met him. However, most legal advice tell me to go to trial. If there's any advice, it would be much appreciated.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

What exactly are your expectations? What outcome are you looking for?

You're actually better off choosing trial because it'll give you the 'no witness' card. The other driver might not show up at your trial, which may mean you'll be off scott-free.

Early Resolution Meeting will just get you a reduced charge, which you can also get at your Trial.

belld

by: belld on

i chose to meet with a prosecutor because i didn't know what i was doing, and they told me i can still have a trial after that. So yes, i want to go to a trial but i am not sure what is going to happen right now. I was actually fairly furious when the officer charge me at the desk, he ask what if it was child on a bicycle, and i was thinking that a child on a bicycle on a freeway doing 60 then stopping to reverse into his drive way before looking behind when more than dozen off cars are behind him, make total sense;(I didn't say anything because i realize the moment he handed me that green paper for court, its pretty much over and arguing with him was pointless.) that's literally their strongest case against me as a casreless driver as even the other drive realize it was an accident and since we didn't get hurt and i was outside his house, he invited me in to exchange insurance information hoping for a quick resolution. He didn't even expect me to get a ticket, as it almost did no damage to his car and he was partially at fault for looking behind before backing in.

Post a Reply