Driver1234

What Happens If Witness Reports A Person For Not Stopping?

by: Driver1234 on

Ok so I was reading on the MTO site that the school bus driver and a witness can report someone who has passed a stopped school bus. What I want to know is what will happen to the driver if a witness only reports them? If they write down there lisence plate and car model etc. And call it on to the police. This doesn't seem right if the driver were to get a ticket in the mail just because a witness says they drove past a school bus since anyone can just call in lisence plates and say a driver drove past a stopped school bus?? So does anyone know what happens to the driver if only a witness reports them?

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Once the police received the traffic complaint, the matter is investigated (ie: does your description of the vehicle match the registered vehicle's information, is the area you described accurate, is the licence plate accurate, is the description of the driver possibly the RO, etc etc etc).

Generally, the registered owner of the vehicle will be charged, as they are deemed responsible for whoever operates their vehicle. If charges are laid, the original witness will be subpeona'd to court and required to testify as to what they observed.

Why does it not seem right? because someone got a ticket does not mean they are guilty- a ticket is only an allegation that an offence occurred, and it is up to the courts to determine the truth. Tickets are allegations that expediate a person's ability to admit to the offence and pay the ticket as opposed to being found guilty in a court.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
Driver1234

Ok but if someone is Falsely accused of this they will get a ticket in the mail and then have to make time to go to court? What if they don't have time they just have to pay $500 or more!? It should only be the bus drivers responsibility to get the lisence plate and prove that a person did commit the crime. A random witness should not count because they can't be proven to be reliable. How does a witness prove they did it and how can a driver prove that they didn't do it? This seems like a money grab that's why they do this kind of stuff because why can't the bus drivers just drop the kids off at the side walk they need to be on by making an extra turn instead of stopping at the intersection where it is so dangerous, that would end so many violations of this law. Will it not? I know other states have done this which is much smarter. This is a terrible law which I'm sure many people have been falsely accused of doing, witnesses should not be considered reliable since it's simply there word against yours and in court they will much rather give the ticket than not.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Where do i begin?

1) You don't get a ticket in the mail. It's issued in person to the owner of the vehicle or the driver if they can be identified.

2) It's everyones responsibility to ensure the safety of other on a highway.

3) It's not classified as a "crime" it's a violation of a Provincial Act.

4) It would be up to the court to determine who's "reliable"

5 A bus driver can't simply drop kids off at the sidewalk. What about the kids who live on the other side of the street? The lights on a school bus ensure that the kids are safe to cross the street.

6) Who cares what they do in the "other states" This is Canada and we have Provinces.

7) This is a great law that attempts to ensure the safety of our children.

8) Our courts may not be perfect but they've seemed to work well for hundreds of years.

9) Driving in Ontario is not a right. If you don't want to obey the laws, either don't drive or be prepared for the consequences.

10 The courts probably don't care one way or the other if you are convicted. They simply listen to the evidence presented and make a decision based on that.

Driver1234

Thanks to the both of you guys for answering. I read on here that you get a ticket mailed to you. How sure are you it's delivered in person? So that means a cop has to go to your door and issue you a ticket? Also you say who cares about other states well I read online that when you avoid the intersections and the school bus drivers let the kids off at the safer area because you can pass a stop school bus in those states and the accidents have been reduced so it's proven to be better and safer. Yeah it takes more time for the school bus driver but who cares its safer for kids. And the courts know these violations well and it would be rather hard for the person being accused to prove they didn't violate any laws, that's why I think a witness in most cases should not count they should need more evidence for someone to receive a ticket.

Driver1234

K thanks just have a couple more questions. How long does the officer have to go to the owners door and give them a ticket? And how does the cop identify them what if they don't match the description that the witness gave? Also what if there's more than one person who drives that car, they prob just give the ticket to the owner right? And lastly is there any chance a police officer can decide not to give the owner a ticket?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Driver1234 wrote:K thanks just have a couple more questions. How long does the officer have to go to the owners door and give them a ticket? And how does the cop identify them what if they don't match the description that the witness gave? Also what if there's more than one person who drives that car, they prob just give the ticket to the owner right? And lastly is there any chance a police officer can decide not to give the owner a ticket?

They don't need to identify the owner. The ticket will be attached to the plates. Since it doesn't go against a specific license holder, it won't have any impact on insurance.

Post a Reply