Scottyc

Wrong City On Summons

by: Scottyc on

My summons notice for "Drive while under suspension" seems like everything is correct. However, the "AT" portion of the ticket is completed incorrectly, The intersection noted is correct, but the municipality is not. Is this immediate grounds for a dismissal (ie: a fatal error), or will the prosecution simply amend the ticket and carry on?

Last edited by Scottyc on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottyc

by: Scottyc on

If it makes a difference- the actual municipality where the infraction occurred is in a different court division/district. In other words, I am to appear (as per the summons) at a courthouse which does not oversee the jurisdiction where the offence occurred. Can they still amend the summons and move the court appearances to the right court house? Or what is the likely outcome of this? what if I don;t mention the error and they don't notice and I wait for trail to bring it up?

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

It's not going to matter because under the Provncial Offences Act if the offence happens in a jusrisdiction adjacent to the court actually listed for the appearance , they can hold the trial there.

Territorial jurisdiction

29. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a proceeding in respect of an offence shall be heard and determined by the Ontario Court of Justice sitting in the county or district in which the offence occurred or in the area specified in the transfer agreement made under Part X. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (35).

Idem

(2) A proceeding in respect of an offence may be heard and determined in a county or district that adjoins that in which the offence occurred if,

(a) the court holds sittings in a place reasonably proximate to the place where the offence occurred; and

(b) the place of sitting referred to in clause (a) is named in the summons or offence notice. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33, s. 29 (2).

Transfer to proper county

(3) Where a proceeding is taken in a county or district other than one referred to in subsection (1) or (2), the court shall order that the proceeding be transferred to the proper county or district and may where the defendant appears award costs under section 60. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33, s. 29 (3).

viper1

by: viper1 on

Decatur

I used to have a very fast car and an even faster bike.(with a lead foot/wrist)

One time (on the bike) I was going so fast that they only caught me because I stopped at a yellow light.

They didn't catch up, to me, until, just as the light changed to green.

I stopped and the cop said he was going 120 mph and that I was pulling away.

I got a speeding ticket.

I had started in ++++++ city and he wrote +++++ city.

I went to court.

I said nothing and watched all the other cases.

At the end of they day they had to call out the names not dealt with.

They got to my name I put up my hand.

I paid attention to everything.

By the time I got up I knew a lot more then when I entered.

I knew that I had to object before the charge was read that the court to have no jurisdiction.

So i did object.

Result judge agreed and case dismissed.

You have to object before they get to much into their talk.(reading charge).

I am curious if you have any comment on this?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply