A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

feduptrucker

Transport Trucks On The Right

by: feduptrucker on

First off , trucks over 6.5 meters in length are only resricted from using the left lane of a hwy if there are signs posted over top of that paticular lane , it will have a picture of a black cube van with a red circle around it and a line through it. There are no signs posted above the left lane of any collector lanes that I have ever seen , nor do I agree that there ever should be. I don't agree that trucks should be restricted from using any lane on a hwy , trucks pay an enormuse amount of road taxes , alot more than any passanger vehicle ever will.

As for restricting trucks to certain times of day , never going to happen , never would work. You go and tell GM , Ford , Honda , Chrysler etc that they can no longer have trucks deliver there parts when they need them for the assembly line. These trucks haul into their plants with a very short deliver time window , a truck is held up for a couple hours and the assembly line stops....period. Maybe you should consider resricting passanger vehicles from using public road ways while all truck drivers are working , how would you like that?

And lastly , you commented about the 105 kmh speed limiters , what happened to the posted 100 kmh speed limit ?? that applies to every motor vehicle on the hwy , why are so many vehicles travelling above that?? It makes no diffence the size of vehicle that moves down the road , the faster it travels , the more fuel it burns...that is a fact. And lowering fuel consumption was one of the reasons that BS speedlimiter law was put in place.

HighMileJon

by: HighMileJon on

I can just tell by the way the way FedUpTrucker is talking that this guy is one of these cowboy truckers that put other people in danger on the road to save half an hour of time. "It makes no difference the size of the vehicle that moves down the road," It most certainly does, do you think a transport truck can stop even close to the stopping distance of a midsize sedan? A speeding transport truck, if involved in a collision, will cause a lot more destruction than a vehicle.

As to thinking you are entitled to using the far left lane on a 3 lane highway I wouldn't suggest doing that because you will most certainly be seeing cherries in your mirrors pretty quick.

I will agree that there is a lack of respect for transport trucks on the highways. A lot of it has to do with a lack of lane discipline but this is an on-going problem. Cars just don't respect "keep right except to pass" so many vehicles will sit in the middle lane cruising at 100 which is a transport trucks passing lane and I believe this is what causes so much tension and hate between the balance of vehicles and transport trucks on highways. You will see just by the actions of transport drivers that they get agitated and more aggressive switching back between the middle and right hand lane trying to get pass the slow moving vehicle in the middle lane.

feduptrucker

by: feduptrucker on

Well highmilejon , you didn't read very well , the qoute " it doesn't matter the size of the vehicle " was refering to burning more fuel at higher speed , it didn't refer to anything about stopping distance , I don't know where you put those 2 things together.

And you are 100 o/o wrong about me , I run the right as often as possable , and my cruise is set at 100 kms per hr as long as traffic will allow. I don't move to the rescricted lane ever , unless the rest are closed. And when I have extra time to get to my customer , I set it on 90.

I didn't say I run the left lane , just making a point that it is for PASSING , so if traffic in the 2 right lanes are travelling below the speed limit , and a truck is traveling at the speed limit , why can he not be allowed to use that lane to pass and then return to the center and then to the right lane after?? Ask any law enforcement officer why trucks are restricted from using it , haven't found one yet that can officially answer why the law is place , only give they're opinon.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

post split from original post (last post in 2011) ....due to violation of forum rules... do not ADD onto posts older than 30days unless you are the orignator

carry on..

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply