A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

WilliamC

Suspended G1

by: WilliamC on

Hi everyone, I just joined a few minutes ago.

I have a unique situation. At least I feel it is. And, would like some feedback on what I should and can do. Here goes.

About 15 years ago, in 1997 (if my memory serves me correctly), my "G" license was suspended for unpaid fines. The traffic infractions were relatively minor like parking tickets and turning into a street when I wasn't supposed to at a certain time of day. I will say with embarrassment, my financial situation hasn't been that good since. So, I decided to prioritize on things that were more important to me at the time like buying food, paying the rent, utilities, etc. I also started taking the TTC because it was a lot more sensible for me to do that. Suffice it to say, I forgot about my driver's license altogether and never really needed it. (I had the old driver's license with the laminated picture card and the paper form that had all the relevant details).

In 2007, I decided I wanted my driver's license back and went to one of the Ministry of Transportation offices and learned that I could pay off all my fines and pay the re-instatement fee, but cannot get my "G" status. I was told I would enter the "graduated licensing system" (which I never had to do when I initially got my license), and would start from scratch with a G1, once I passed the eye exam and written test. So, I did just that, without a fuss and got my G1 license soon after.

Then, in 2008, I got some traffic tickets again (none that were given demerit points) and my personal situation had me re-prioritize things where I couldn't pay those fines right away and hence, my license got suspended again. With the fact that I had fallen onto some very difficult times and the fact that I was discouraged from pursuing my G license, and I'm ashamed to say those fines haven't been paid. And, my G1 has also expired, just very recently.

It is now July 2012 (of course) and I want my G license, if only to use it for ID purposes, or when travelling and I want to rent a car or minivan. I've gotten by without it for the past 15 years, but still want it. My questions are the following:

Q1. Is it still possible for me to pay off my fines and pay the re-instatement fee to get back my G1 (or renew it)?

Q2. Let me preface this question by saying that I'm just a regular guy, nobody important and nobody special. But, not having any "serious" driving infractions in the past, (and the only real offense that I'm truly sorry and guilty for is not paying attention to paying the fines off on time in the first place), is there some way that I can take my case to a judge and plead it so that I can have my "G" status re-instated once any outstanding fines and all fees have been paid?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Will C. :oops:

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

You should be able to pay off your fines and get your licence reinstated. It may take time, but nothing bars you from getting it reinstated.

The judges have no authority to reinstate your "G" status. That's solely MTO.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
WilliamC

by: WilliamC on

Sorry for not having responded sooner. Thanks very much for your insight. I'm very encouraged to hear this. How long would you say the reinstatement might happen, once all the fines and fees have been paid? I appreciate your help.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

The last liscencr you had is a g1 so that is what you will get back. Depending on how long expired you may need to do the exam over. If not after you pay the fines and reinstatement fee I think the dl is back in good standing in 48 hrs.

The need to re test or not is best answered by the mto

Ops

Post a Reply