mmikemanmuir

No Insurance 14day Rule

by: mmikemanmuir on

On the way to grand bend for vacation on a Friday night one of my cars decided to blow the head gasket, not having many options I decided to drive for another half hour with the head gasket leaking to get to my friends shop in Sarnia, it was a good friend of mine that I've sold a couple of my cars to for parts, he ended up buying my broken car off me and selling me back one of my old cars, what I didnt know was that the new car I had just bought had been left in my name the whole time he had it with my plates and everything, thinking this would be a good thing because my sticker still had a month left on it even, I drove the car and was pulled over for driving with no insurance. Technically I was not in possession of my old vehicle anymore when I was pulled over so I told the police officer that I no longer had the old car on my pink slip. Officer wrote me a no insurance ticket and I tried to call the insurance company but they were closed for the entire weekend so they were not notified of the vehicle change until Tuesday when they reopened, the insurance company as well is refusing the provide me with any coverage even though I have bills of sales with times and dates on them for each car indicating material was changed. I have heard of a 14 day grace period for switching over your insurance but I am not entirely sure how this works and if you need to use your old plates to have the insurance or if it can be any plates, some help on this rule would greatly be appreciated:)

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The Financial Services Commission of Ontario has a copy of the latest Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP1) on their site.

Link: http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms ... /1215E.pdf

Have a look at section 2.2 which states you're insured on any new auto as long as you notify your provider within 14 days. The plates shouldn't matter, just as long as you lawfully purchased it.

mmikemanmuir

Thank you, I reviewed that and it does make a lot of sense, theres even another section 2.2.2, that says you can substitute a vehicle if your vehicle breaks down which is why I was forced to sell my old car, hopefully these two sections save me from the ticket, I filed a BBB complaint against the insurance company because they didn't want to extend coverage

mmikemanmuir

Just wondering what the definition of lawfully purchasing the vehicle is? Would a bill of sale being written out be considered lawfully purchased? Unfortunately my friend didn't change the vehicle out of my name when I sold it to him about a year ago, I bought it back but only have bills of sales and now affadavits to prove the car was actually sold and bought back, the 2.2 law doesn't say anything about changing names or plates over so i assume all I need is bills of sales to prove an actual sale took place??

viper1

by: viper1 on

I asked the expert for you.

Since you did the transaction 365 days ago no 14 day rule.

If you had changed ownership it would have passed.

Just like any other car.

It was in your name so insurance has lapsed. (no 14 day rule)(unless you forgot to delete it and still paid up)

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply