serkan

Driving With Suspended License (non Paid Ticket)

by: serkan on

I had a ticket for going 119km/h in 100 km/h zone in 2011 spring. I went to the court. Prosecutor made a deal at 115 km/h and i plead guilt to that and given 3 months time to pay the ticket.

I know there is no excuse to not pay your ticket in 3 months and it is irresponsible. I am a kind of person who leaves things to the last minute. I was sent to work in Timmins/ON for 5 weeks and I live in Windsor/ON. It is 11 hours away.

As i left this ticket to pay at a later time. I was unaware the deadline had passed and my license was suspended and I did not receive the notice because I was away. (I can prove I was in Timmins with my bank statements)

On my way back to Windsor, I got pulled over and officer told me I had suspended license and I had to hand in the keys, car got towed and he gave me a yellow slip, summons to defend.

I don't know what section it is because a ticket fighter took my slip in the court date and told me he will postpone it this time and look into the case and give me a call. I said "ok". Today he calls me and tells me best he can do is to lower the fine to $490 plus i have to pay him $500.

Is this a criminal offense ? He said I can be jailed for 6 months !!!

Anyways I am laid off atm and can't afford to pay for a lawyer. This is my first time driving with suspended license.

I paid my fine and got my license reinstated same week i got caught. What are my chances fighting this w/o a lawyer ? What is the minimum fine I can get away from this ?

Thank you...

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Driving suspended is under s. 53 of the Highway Traffic Act, therefore it is a provincial offence, not a criminal offence.

s. 53 says that the penalty for a first offence is between $1000 and $5000 or a term of imprisonment for 6 months or both. However, the judge does have the discretion to reduce the fine below the statutory minimum.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
ticket123

by: ticket123 on

serkan wrote:I understand. Are there any suggestions ? Should I deal with this myself or pay the ticker fighter ?

What is the minimum fine I can get away with ?

Thanks.

I don't think the JP will be harsh on you sentence wise if this is a first offence. My opinion is to state your case yourself, state the truth, and that you are in hard times. Tell him/her you took care of it immediately and bring proof, and show remorse. The money you will spend on hired help, use it towards your fine. JMHO

Post a Reply