legal2011

Wrong Date On Ticket In Canada... Only 5 Days Left

by: legal2011 on

Hello Everyone.

Recently I was charged with 2 traffic violations here in Canada. One is for disobeying stop sign and the other was driving in the absence of a supervising officer. (Since I was driving alone on a learner's licence).

The stop sign ticket had fine of 230$ which can be paid at a certain date or If I dont want to prove guilty, I can come to court in coming month/s (certain date).

The other ticket STRANGELY had no payment mentioned but says that I have to appear before court infront of the judge who will determine the penalty. GUESS WHAT.... I dont know why but the officer slashed out the computer date on the ticket and wrote a date on which it is a SATURDAY! I confirmed with the court, and they say that saturday the traffic courts are closed (all the weekends). And they told me to come on a specific time on Saturday (the time that is mentioned on the ticket) and show the ticket to the prosecutor. Also in that ticket, my address is been cut off and corrected and there is other minor correction.

Is it possible to fight my ticket based on this and get the charges dismissed?

Its just 5 days left. Would appreciate any help in this matter.

-XoXo

legal2011

Hi there!

Just to clarify, the issue date of the ticket is CORRECT (as thats the actual date of incident). But the date on which I have to appear on the court is WRONG. Because Saturday falls on that date and there is no Judge present in the court. So if I go to the court on that day, I would find no-one but the prosecutor!

I dont know what to do.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

First, what Province did this occur in? Each has different ways of dealing with Provincial matters.

Second, if you're required to attend Court, it's a summons, not a ticket. I find it hard to believe that even a Prosecutor would be at the Courthouse on a Saturday, but I guess it's possible. I'd contact the police service and confirm the Court date.

legal2011

Hi there!

It happened in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Called the court, and they told me to come on the mentioned date (Saturday) and come see the prosecutor and bring along the tickets to show him the wrond trial date.

But my question right now is that can I get the ticket dismissed based on this fact that the original trial date was checked out and set to a date which falls on Saturday???

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

This forum deals with traffic matters in Ontario, so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help you.

In Ontario, I don't think the charge would be withdrawn, since it sounds like you received a summons, not a ticket. Errors can be corrected on summons, whereas on regular tickets they can't be amended outside of trial. It may be different in Saskatchewan however.

Post a Reply