SwimGirl

Failure To Stop For A School Bus

by: SwimGirl on

My friend and I were driving along (not speeding), then right after she noticed she passed a school bus traveling in the opposite lane. It is her grandfather's car, but her grandfather was in the hospital ICU post heart surgery (proof that he wasn't the driver). She's really nervous as we were driving slowly so they probably did get the license number. Since it'll probably come in the mail, and her grandfather can prove he wasn't the driver, will the owner of the vehicle (her grandfather) be charged and/or receive demerit points?

Bluebird

by: Bluebird on

The fact that the school bus was traveling in the other lane makes me wonder what are you afraid of? That is not an infraction.

SwimGirl wrote:My friend and I were driving along (not speeding), then right after she noticed she passed a school bus traveling in the opposite lane. It is her grandfather's car, but her grandfather was in the hospital ICU post heart surgery (proof that he wasn't the driver). She's really nervous as we were driving slowly so they probably did get the license number. Since it'll probably come in the mail, and her grandfather can prove he wasn't the driver, will the owner of the vehicle (her grandfather) be charged and/or receive demerit points?
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Section 175 is posted for Bluebird

Duty of drivers when school bus stopped

(11) Every driver or street car operator, when meeting on a highway, other than a highway with a median strip, a stopped school bus that has its overhead red signal-lights flashing, shall stop before reaching the bus and shall not proceed until the bus moves or the overhead red signal-lights have stopped flashing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 175 (11).

Idem

(12) Every driver or street car operator on a highway, when approaching from the rear a stopped school bus that has its overhead red signal-lights flashing, shall stop at least twenty metres before reaching the bus and shall not proceed until the bus moves or the overhead red signal-lights have stopped flashing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 175 (12).

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

In this instance, the vehicle's owner (if the offence got reported) would be looking at a $490 fine, no demerit points, no insurance increase, nothing on the driver abstract - just the fine.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply