smiletoy999

Did Not Stop For A School Bus With Stop Sign

by: smiletoy999 on

Hi All,

I am very much afraid after yesterday's incident. Apparently I just crossed a school bus which was approached the school with red lights on. There was no median in the road and my speed was 10-15 max. When I heard honking from the bus I realized I have made a grave mistake.I didn't stop and slowly passed from the scene with angry looks from drivers lined up behind the bus.

I then googled and came to know than opposite side vehicles also should stop .

I am afraid of 2000 dollar fine and 6 demerit points for this offence, and second time its about 6 months jail time plus 4000 fine.

I have gone total paranoid since yesterday and not in talking terms.

May I know a way to avoid this, as this rule was half unknown to me, but thats not an excuse.

How can I save myself from insurance shooting up and have this not reported in my driving record.

Please help me.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

There are two ways to be charged for this particular offense. You're either charged as the driver or the owner.

To be charged as a driver, you'd almost certainly have to be pulled over at the scene. The officer would then be able to identify you and attach your license number to your ticket.

You can also be charged as the owner. The bus driver would fill out a form with your license plate number and submit it to the police. Since no one can confirm who the driver was, they just look up whoever owns the plate. That person may or may not have been the driver, but they'll be charged either way.

IF you are charged, it will almost certainly be as the owner. Since no license number is attached to the ticket, it's a lot like a parking ticket. You can pay it and move on. There's no demerit points in this situation nor are there insurance implications. I believe it's a $490 fine. If you request an early resolution meeting, they may be able to knock that down even lower.

I wouldn't worry too much.

smiletoy999

by: smiletoy999 on

Thanks a lot @moderator,I am little bit calm now.

Just one question, doesnt it mean in Canda only the regiesterd license holder or the car is supposed to drive the car. As my car's owner is only me.So would not it mean I was driver.

Just my ignorance ,could you please answer that.

If other drivers can drive my car as well.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

If you're asking in regards to a potential ticket, they will never know who has access to your vehicle nor are you required to volunteer that information. It will never get that far anyways. They're not going to be that invested in you. They will charge you as the owner and move on to the next person.

Under most circumstances, anyone can use your vehicle as long as they hold a valid license and they have received permission to do so.

When you lend out your vehicle, you also lend out your insurance. That means if the person borrowing the vehicle gets into an accident, your insurance will treat it as if you were driving.

This only really works if someone uses your vehicle very rarely like once or twice a year. It doesn't work if they using it once a week.

That's why insurance providers will usually require you to have everyone in your household listed as a driver on your vehicle, because they know there's the potential there for frequent borrowing.

Post a Reply