ianrush16

Failing To Stop For School Bus In School Bus In Loading Zone

by: ianrush16 on

First of all I feel horrible for what I've done, running a school bus stop sign. It was completely unintentional and didn't realize what I had done until after I had driven past the busses.

I was driving past (in the opposite direction, so the busses were on the left hand side) a school that had two busses in the school bus loading zone (the area was painted in diagonal lines on the road). One bus did not have the flashing lights on nor the stop sign out, while the other did. As I was past the second bus another bus was pulling into the loading zone (no lights or stop sign). By this time I had looked into my rear view mirror and noticed the stop sign arm extended on the second bus and realized what I had done. There was no officer in the area and as of the end of the day after have not received a ticket.

I take full responsibility for what I have done (and feel tremendous amounts of guilt and fear as a result) but am wondering what my rights when passing a bus within the school bus loading zone? I dug up this link from the MTO (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbo ... -1-2.shtml) that states that the bus driver should not have the lights flashing or arm extended in a school bus loading zone.

I'm freaking out right now so any answers would be greatly appreciated!

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

If you approached while no arm was extended you can drive along, if arm was extended and you passed the stop sign, the bus driver can report your plate to the police. If you didn't stop and is the reason you are freaking out, and you get no ticket, then plz DON'T do it the next time!! The concept is so KIDS can SAFELY cross an intersection from their school bus!

ianrush16

by: ianrush16 on

Thanks for the response,

No I did not stop for the school bus stop sign that was up. I passed it when it was up. There were children lined up to enter the bus to go home at the end of the school day.

Basically I'm unsure what the laws and regulations are when school buses are in designated school bus loading zones. According to this link (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbo ... -1-2.shtml) the schol bus shouldn't have their stop sign arm extended period in a designated loading zone.

There were no police present so no ticket was issued immediately. I am paranoid that one will come in the mail, and if so when can I expect to receive it?

Thank you.

Post a Reply