47 Kph Over In Quebec

G35Dalf

47 Kph Over In Quebec

Unread post by G35Dalf »

I have two areas I need assistance with:

1. I was pulled over June 2009 in Quebec for going 147 kph in a 100 kph zone (I live and am licensed in Ontario). I pleaded not guilty and requested disclosure of the officer's notes and any evidence. I received a package several months after and have not heard anything since. Is this delay normal for Quebec and should I be doing anything else? Is the delay something I can fight as I am starting to feel the length of time it's taking is inappropriate.

2. If convicted, is 147 kph considered a major conviction in Ontario? What can I expect with regards to my license and my insurance? I've had a license for almost 30 years and have no other convictions.

Thanks for your assistance.

G35Dalf

Unread post by G35Dalf »

Another thing I thought of, is there a anywhere online I can check my license to ensure I wasn't already somehow convicted (in absentia)? I'm a bit concerned perhaps the summons has been lost and I missed my court date?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

What's considered a minor/major conviction varies from one insurance company to the next. There are no set rules that I'm aware of, and you should contact your insurance company for confirmation.

If you are convicted of speeding by 47 over, it would show on your Ontario licence along with 4 demerit points. If you have a full G licence and no other convictions, the 4 demerit points would have no impact on your licence status.

As for checking online, I'm not aware of any simple way. They MTO does have a site that allows you to check the status of your licence (i.e. see if it's suspended) but I don't believe it provides a full abstract. It's also a pay per use service.

G35Dalf

Unread post by G35Dalf »

Alright, so I received a Notice of Hearing last week for a date in November. I called the Crown Attorney and ask to plea bargain, which they agreed to... we agreed to 129 km over and the fine dropped from $314 to $164 (includes fees), and the points dropped from 4 to 3.

I am happy with the results, since I would have missed a day of work and spent quite a bit in gas to attend to fight it. If I had lost, it would have been $314 plus $84 court cost ($398). A lawyer once told me it's always better to accept the best plea bargain than go to court and get the worst judgement.

I also have 4 months to pay the fine.

pierrecoucat

Unread post by pierrecoucat »

If you would have been convicted at 47km/h over, would you have gotten the Ontario penalty (4 points) or the Quebec one (5 points) ?

Thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Ontario applies the applicable points for what the conviction would carry here, so 4 points.