Got Two Tickets On The Spot

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

slepy

Got Two Tickets On The Spot

Unread post by slepy »

I have been reading Fight Your Traffic Ticket site and have a couple of comments.

I was issued two tickets at the same time, one for invalid left turn (Hwy 7 in Markham and Swansea). Another one, because the officer did not like my copy of registration documents.

I am planning to challenge it in the court. Actually I already submitted the request.

Fight Your Traffic Ticket site suggests to be proactive, request disclosure and ask for early trial date. My question is regarding timing of these two requests. Should I wait for the notice of the trial or should I send both requests asap?

Thanks.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

You can do either/or, but I'd usually recommend waiting for the trial date before you submit the request.

Why did the officer not like your copy of the registration? What were you charged with?

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
slepy

Unread post by slepy »

Radar Identified wrote:You can do either/or, but I'd usually recommend waiting for the trial date before you submit the request.

Why did the officer not like your copy of the registration? What were you charged with?

The Ticket says "Fail to surrender permit for motor vehicle'.

I showed him a copy of the original document, but he said that it did not have the other side of the licence plate part. It is a leased vehicle, so I have only the original of the licence plate of the vehicle document. It is stapled to the copy of the whole document (with the owner part). So I made a copy of it without knowing there is something on the other side of the plate portion. The vehicle was stolen recently and recovered, so I had to go through the whole process of cancelling the stolen plates and then getting new ones. So in a hurry I made a quick copy just before picking the vehicle from the repair. I tried to explain it to the cop, but he just did not listen.

By the way, is there any legislation that defines how a legal copy should look like?

The other charge is 'Disobey Sign' for left turn.

Thanks.

Radar Identified

The copy of your registration, unfortunately, has to have a copy the plate portion. (Not sure of the exact section or wording.)

However, I think you'll be offered a deal when you go to trial. They'll likely give you an offer to plead guilty to one offence in exchange for dropping the other... or the officer may not show up. For your disclosure request, really the only thing you should ask for is the officer's notes (typed if not legible, plus any explanation of short-form wordings).

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

by the HTA the permit for the motor vehicle or a "true copy thereof" must be carried...

has to include the plate portion/vehicle portion and front and back must be copied

*backside* has the area where you place the sticker to validate the permit (which is 1 of the 2 stickers you get when you update the vehicle validation)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
slepy

Unread post by slepy »

Radar Identified wrote:The copy of your registration, unfortunately, has to have a copy the plate portion. (Not sure of the exact section or wording.)

However, I think you'll be offered a deal when you go to trial. They'll likely give you an offer to plead guilty to one offence in exchange for dropping the other... or the officer may not show up. For your disclosure request, really the only thing you should ask for is the officer's notes (typed if not legible, plus any explanation of short-form wordings).

Thanks a lot.

Would you know where to send this request in York Region? Is it the address on the ticket (Ontario Court of Justice. Provincial Offenses Office. The Regional Municipality of York. 50 High Tech Rd., Richmond Hill)?

Thanks.

Radar Identified

Should be the same address, just make sure you specify "Prosecutor's Office." Alternatively... drive to the courthouse and deliver the request yourself. Have two copies, one for them, the other for them to stamp as "received" and return to you. That way you have proof that you served them with the Disclosure Request.

slepy

Unread post by slepy »

Radar Identified wrote:Should be the same address, just make sure you specify "Prosecutor's Office." Alternatively... drive to the courthouse and deliver the request yourself. Have two copies, one for them, the other for them to stamp as "received" and return to you. That way you have proof that you served them with the Disclosure Request.

Thanks. You would not have their fax number by any chance.