Told I Would Be Charged But Received No Ticket

Benny

Told I Would Be Charged But Received No Ticket

Unread post by Benny »

Pulling out of a driveway, I rubbed the back left bumper of a parked vehicle with my right back bumper. I got out and saw the slightest bit of my paint transferred on the parked car which came off when I rubbed it. I have a small scratch. I figured the other vehicle was undamaged and didn't care about my scratch so left the scene.

Was that stupid? Of course. Even with such minor damage to my vehicle, I should have stayed at the scene and found the driver. But that's hindsight...can't do anything about it now.

I got a knock on my door from a cop a few hours later. She took my statement and particulars and said I would be charged with Failure to Remain under the Highway Traffic Act (specifying it was not a criminal charge) but left me with no ticket or report, saying she would drop it off at my house the next day. That was 12 days ago. She hasn't been back and I've seen nothing in my mail box.

Does anyone know what happens next? Will I receive a summons by mail? I just want to ensure that I'm not going to be auto-convicted or something by not having a chance to respond to my ticket within 15 days.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

The officer has up to six months to charge you with the offence. You would be summonsed and required to attend Court. It would not be like a regular ticket where it's assumed you're simply found guilty if you fail to respond within 15 days.

FYI it's a pretty serious charge, and your insurance rates could easily double if convicted. Could be worth seeking legal representation if you're charged.

Benny

Unread post by Benny »

Thanks. I am definitely going to get legal representation if charged because I understand how serious it is. It seems like overkill considering the relatively light property damage but it's the letter of the law, I guess.

The cop mentioned to me it would be a ticket, which is why I thought that. She also mentioned it would be about $110 though so I'm not really sure anything she told me is terribly reliable.

Am I entitled to a copy of her report? If so, how do I get that? I feel like nothing is documented...the cop wouldn't even tell me her first name.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Benny wrote:Am I entitled to a copy of her report? If so, how do I get that? I feel like nothing is documented...the cop wouldn't even tell me her first name.

Yes, you can copy a request of the accident report through the police service. Typically you're given a basic version of the report at the scene. The basic report list drivers, vehicles and insurance information. The full report will have additional details including an accident diagram.