A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Jacs1012

Cop Told Me To Take Ticket To Court

by: Jacs1012 on

I got a ticket for using my cell phone while driving. The cop actually told me to pick option 3 and they may reduce the fine. Do I pick pleading not guilty or contesting evidence? In reviewing the ticket I also noticed he used my birthday for the incident date. Will this effect anything?

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

I'm going to go out on a limb here seeing how the cell phone law didn't exist when you were born I would try forcing the fatal error.

I don't know that it would be successful but given the kind of ticket you got you don't really have much to lose.

Any other thoughts on this one?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I agree, it sounds like you have a fatal error. Incorrectly placing your DOB where the offence date goes places your ticket waaaay outside the 15 day limit to bring a ticket before the Court.

Hopefully if the Justice of the Peace is alert when reviewing your ticket, they should pick up on the error. If not, you'll have to jump through some hoops. Search this forum for information pertaining to forcing fatal errors. Basically you'll need to ignore the ticket and hope it gets quashed.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

It be surprised if the JP misses that and doesn't just quash the ticket. I had a very keen auxiliary officer complete the keystone info on a ticket that I then subsequently lawfully served without noticing he had put July instead of June for the offence date. The ticket being filed before the written offence was duly quashed. I wrote my own damn tickets after that !

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Post a Reply