Loud Muffler Question

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

hwybear

Posting Awards

Loud Muffler Question

Unread post by hwybear »

New thread created with posts copied over, orginals post deleted from a unrelated thread

David94Pro wrote:As far as I have been told if an officer asks you to open your hood during a traffic stop you can ask him to see his mechanics licence and DO NOT have to open your hood at all. and he is powerless after that point..

I have also heard that if you get a ticket for a loud muffler (i've had 2) you can ask the police to get a decibel meter and measure the loudness of your cars exhaust.

I'm not sure how much of this stuff is true However I am confident some folks will chime in.

:-)

hwybear wrote:
David94Pro wrote:As far as I have been told if an officer asks you to open your hood during a traffic stop you can ask him to see his mechanics licence and DO NOT have to open your hood at all. and he is powerless after that point..

Can not lump a traffic stop into an answer of yes or no, so many scenarios couuld be yes, so many scenarios could be no. And no an officer does not need a mechanics licence to check any part of a car

I have also heard that if you get a ticket for a loud muffler (i've had 2) you can ask the police to get a decibel meter and measure the loudness of your cars exhaust.
you can ask but police do not have them........only know of police in one town in all of Ontario that have the meter.....but I think that is to enforce a bylaw (meter was purchased by the town council). Loud mufflers on cars are easy to hear, easy for evidence, same as improper muffler where the baffles have been removed.

David94Pro wrote:now not to say im a criminal or anything. I have a straight flow muffler on my car it is not an aftermarket item and it is Not modified in any way shape or form. but it is loud not obnoxious but it has a rumble to it. only when i would open it up though. am i compleatly powerless at the side of the road if an officer tries to gimme a ticket?

Radar Identified wrote:
David94Pro wrote:am i compleatly powerless at the side of the road if an officer tries to gimme a ticket?

Yes. However, to be sure, a ticket is merely a charging document. The side of the road is not a venue for a trial. The conviction/guilty plea is what really matters. If your vehicle is legal and compliant with the rules of the road, you should be able to present that information in court and be found not guilty. As far as whether your muffler is legal or not - can't say. A licensed mechanic could give you a better answer than I could.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
David94Pro

Unread post by David94Pro »

Sorry i'm new here still not used to the jist of things..

My car was inspected upon safety by a licensed Technician and nothing was brought to my attention about anything.. so all the Jargon ive heard about police having to get a decibel meter at request ANd about asking for a mechanics license is just mouth to mouth there is NO law saying i have those rights..good to know..

puzzled

Unread post by puzzled »

In regards to the db meter, when I was a teen Toronto police did have them. We used to go cruising down Yonge St., many of us with our windows open and stereos blaring, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic north of the Eaton Centre. The police used to be standing on the edge of the sidewalk with db meters handing out fines for excessive noise.

Take the mystery out of driving. Use your turn signal.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

David94Pro wrote:My car was inspected upon safety by a licensed Technician and nothing was brought to my attention about anything....

You could check your own muffler thou. Look at tip of it, if there is a bolt hole in the edge near the tip, the baffle has been removed. Just order a new baffle and bolt it in for driving on the road. If you need it out for car shows on private property can quickly unbolt and remove the piece (might want to wear gloves if it is hot)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca