Food Delivery Trucks Exempt?

kodeblue

Food Delivery Trucks Exempt?

Unread post by kodeblue »

I do delivery to retirement homes, hospitals and restaurants in the city. I never heard of delivery trucks being exempt from some of the truck laws but have never had any issues either, like driving on no trucks routes or parking on the street for delivery. Question is, is there an exemption or is it just a courtesy that delivery trucks are allowed do this?

The reason I ask is because I was doing a delivery at a small restaurant and was only going to be there for about 10-15 minutes max. Upon arrival, I had noticed that in the delivery parking spots, there were cars parked there and there was no other place to park nearby. Cars were lined up on both sides of the street. I decided to park on the side street right on the corner, which is residential and no truck route. When I came out on my final trip, a city parking enforcement car was parked beside me. She rolled the window down and asked if that was my truck and I answered yes. She continued to advise me that I was parked on a no truck route street. I told her that the delivery parking spot was being used by cars and even pointed it out to her. I asked her where I should park and also asked her if she could see any avalible spots where I could have parked. She had no interest in seeing my point. As I just started walking away, she yelled at me that I was safe this time.

Another one of our drivers parked on the right lane where it end and merges to the left lane to do a delivery and was also met by a parking enforcement officer. Same ordeal, no place to park.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Delivery trucks must follow all applicable laws of the HTA.

The parking on streets situation falls into applicable bylaws for your city/town.

All cities/towns usually have an exemption in the "no truck" zones for deliveries on the most direct route to the business and back out.

I know some smaller places where I live put out pylons, as they know the delivery truck is coming to prevent cars parking. Rest of time cars park. Owners just helping out their customers and getting their goods.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

Almost every town has exceptions for delivery.

Usually it is 10 minutes and you have to park in a no-parking zone or a lane way.

In Toronto if you do the above the ticket will be canceled, if you dispute it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"