hurlyboolop

Please Help - Multiple Tickets, How To Attend Court

by: hurlyboolop on

Hi, thanks in advance for the help. Been driving for 10 years, clean record until today when I got slapped with two tickets. First: going 135 at 100 on the 401, second: not having a valid sticker (I recently moved and completely forgot about it)

My friend tells me I should fight the speed ticket, if anything to reduce the fine and points. Would be alot of help if anyone could walk me through the basic process.. all I know right now is I'll be mailing the ticket with the trial option to the court. What should I tell the prosecutor, how should I react, etc?

Should I also 'fight' the sticker ticket?

With my two tickets, can I mail them in together (as to 'fight' them on the same court date, if I fight ticket #2), or do I have to mail them separately?

Thanks again for the help.. this totally unmade my day. :(

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

If you take your matter to court you may fight one or both of the tickets. If you fight both, they will both be dealt with at the same time, since they are arising out of the same instance.

For the procedure, check out the articles on www.ontarioticket.com and elsewhere on this forum, you can find most of your answers there.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hurlyboolop

Another question: The "witness" box in my ticket has been marked yes with presumably a badge number - from the partner who gunned me from the bridge. Does this affect my plea not guilty procedure in any way?

Thanks

hurlyboolop

Hi, I sent in my ticket by mail about a month ago and I haven't heard back and I'm getting worried.. Anyone know how long it takes them to process and get back to you?

hurlyboolop

Hello, it's been 3 months now since I sent the ticket in to fight it and I haven't heard anything and I'm worried it got lost in the mail or whatever.. I don't want to get a criminal record or whatever it is you get for not paying. Should I be worried? How long does it take for them to respond to these things? Thanks again.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Call the phone # on the back of the ticket and ask somebody there. They can look it up on ICON with the PON # and tell you what the status of it is.

Also, it's not a criminal record, it's just a provincial offence record. I wrote a blog post about provincial offence records recently, related to this question, that you might be interested in checking out. The website's in my signature below.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

hurlyboolop wrote:Hello, it's been 3 months now since I sent the ticket in to fight it and I haven't heard anything and I'm worried it got lost in the mail or whatever.. I don't want to get a criminal record or whatever it is you get for not paying. Should I be worried? How long does it take for them to respond to these things? Thanks again.

I would suggest waiting for them to send the info to you. Your right to a speedy trial starts the day your are charged, the longer the courts take to set your date the better.........

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

In order to make an 11(b) Charter motion for unreasonable delay, it needs to be about 9 months delay, minimum, (for a POA offence - more for criminal) ascribed to the crown. If you were the cause of the delay, it doesn't count.

It's like a chess game with timers, when the crown's stops, yours start, and vice versa. The judge hearing an 11(b) motion will break down the entire time period into two categories - crown and defence - and see who is responsible for each delay.

Post a Reply