Multiple Tickets, Unsure Of Consequences...

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

rblainetait

Multiple Tickets, Unsure Of Consequences...

Unread post by rblainetait »

So,

First off, I'm new here, (tonight), and have found this site after frantic web surfing to locate information. As such, I have not contributed here in the past, and am hoping you will not hold that against me.

My situation...

I was stopped on my way home tonight, (in Windsor), and was informed that my validation sticker was expired on my plate. I was then asked to produce license, registration and proof of insurance. I handed everything over, and the officer returned to his cruiser.

He returned to inform me that the proof of insurance was expired, and 'could I produce the current slip'? I searched frantically, but could not. He then returned to his cruiser for the second time.

Upon returning, he informed me I was being summoned for the following...

1) Drive Motor Vehicle - No Validation on Plate Contrary to Highway Traffic Act of Ontario Section 7 (1) (c) (i)

and

2) Owner Operate Motor Vehicle On a Highway - No Insurance Contrary to Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act Section 2 (1) (a)

Worst part, I was stopped less than a minute from my house, and by the time I pulled in my driveway, (and cooled off), I realized that one of my current slips was in my wallet, and the other was in my center console!!!

So, do I feel I deserved both of these summonses? I believe so. My question is not whether to fight them, but more, 'what can I do to mitigate'?

My summons is for January 25th, and I would really like to take care of this immediately if possible, (I am a self described tax-paying, law-abiding, guy). I really did legitimately not even think about the sticker before getting pulled over, and I have always not only kept my insurance current, I am the guy that requests $2mil in liability. I really do think the reason I didn't have the where-with-all to remember I had the slips with me is because I was so shocked about the sticker.

Anyways, my plan is to go to the MTO on Monday to get the sticker, and to try and make up for this.

My real questions are...

1) What kind of fines can I expect to pay for this stupidity?

2) Is there someone to show the insurance to in the mean time to show that I just couldn't locate the slip, (I noticed searching around here that there is a 'failure to produce' fine for around $65 as opposed to no insurance for $5000+)?

3) Is there someone to show that I have brought my validation up to date?

4) What convictions or demerits can I expect, and at what expense to insurance? (major or minor convictions, etc)?

5) How do I proceed with the whole court thing?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to paint the whole picture...and in future I may be able to contribute, (just passed my broker exam a week ago) but obviously, not enough experience yet!!! :)

Not too bright
Reflections

Unread post by Reflections »

You may be able to get this down to invalid sticker only. You did not produce proof of insurance, but you had insurance, so that charge goes out the window.

And, in the future, keep one those insurance folders in the same spot of your car, or wallet. I've almost tripped myself on that one as well.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
rblainetait

Thanks for the quick reply,

And yeah, lesson learned...The day the slip came in the mail, I was late getting out the door for a business trip, so I jumped in the car, threw the slip in the console, and obviously forgot about it promptly. The one I am really beating myself up on is that I was basically sitting on the other copy the entire time, (in my wallet). From now on, I'll make sure to put it with the registration IMMEDIATELY!

So, just to pick your brain a bit further...do I just buy the new validation sticker, and wait for the courtdate, or is there something else I should be doing in the mean-time, (I've seen references here to calling the prosecutor)? As I don't have tickets, (they are summonses without a fine amount, etc), the only option stated on them is to appear on the 25th of January, and proceed with trial or ask for another date. There isn't even an area to enter a guilty plea. I'm just not used to this type of action.

Thanks again.

Not too bright
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

No, you must show up for summons. You should get a "Fail to produce proof of insurance", as you researched. The other fine is just that, it will have no ill effects on your insurance.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
rblainetait

Well thank you to yourself [Racer] and Reflections for the welcome and advice...

You really have put my mind at ease.

It's funny, I remember having the whole butterfly feeling when I was pulled over as a teenager, but thought it was just that...nervousness because I was young. What I am realizing now is that age had nothing to do with it. Not that the officers involved behaved poorly, (quite the opposite, they were very professional and did a fine job of remaining detached), it's just that I am realizing that feeling is the one you get when you know you've done something wrong!

Oh well, life is about learning...

And thanks again!

Not too bright