trivius

Summons For Driving Uninsured Vehicle, Don't Know What To Do

by: trivius on

My spouse and I are currently unemployed and looking for work. Employment has been highly unstable for the past while, and we have been driving without insurance. Yes, I know that's our own fault, shame on us, etc. -- I'm not wanting to start a debate about that. For what it's worth, we're in an area with limited public transportation.

Today while out to get some groceries, I was pulled over for a tail-light being out, and I have been given a summons to appear in court for driving without insurance.

I've been told there's a $5,000 fine associated with this, which of course is throwing fuel on the fire... we are in debt and there's no way we can afford to pay that kind of money. Frankly, I'm terrified and have no idea what to do.

If it matters, the car and summons are in my spouse's name (not mine), who was at home at the time. The officer delivered the summons at home before I had returned.

I have submitted the information to X-Copper and am awaiting a response. What should I do?

cruzmisl

by: cruzmisl on

The summons is in your wife's name because she is the owner. The biggest fine you could get is $65. Your wife however can be charged with permit operation of a motor vehicle on a highway with no insurance. This is an expensive fine and you should seek representation for a number of reasons that I won't go into here.

The first thing you should do is get insurance though.

Post a Reply