A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

coolcustomer

Serious Defence For Serial Ticketers.

by: coolcustomer on

For about the price of the last ticket I got for allegedly speeding, I bought myself a night vision capable video camera as well as fashioning a dash-board mount for it with velcro adhesives. The next thing I want to do is perhaps install a swivel mount where I can swivel my camera from front windshield to the back windshield.

This way, for your defense at court, all statements are recorded, and if it's a case of mistakenly identifying a vehicle, then that would be recorded on video camera as well. A modern video camera on a 16 gig sd chip can record 100's of hours of driving at a time.

The other thing I want to be able to do is to be able to record in real time as well as have a date stamp your speedometer readings. The next time a police officer pulls me over to accuse me of speeding, I can say, no I haven't and I have the proof right here, maybe be able to replay the speedometor readings right infront of him. Anybody know how I can achieve this? Do you guys believe this would work?

coolcustomer

actually, I can manage to mount my camer just behind me to record my speedometer in real time as well as the road. The only problem is, it would be a rather awkward placement. On the ceiling of my vehicle directly behind me and I would end up damaging the fabric.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

Has your speedometer been certified? How often would it have to be calibrated? An errant speedometer is not a defence...

You must get stopped a lot. Why?

I bet the average driver gets stopped once every 10-15 years...I'm thinking rather than get a video camera, you need to go out and get yourself a clue if you are getting stopped that often.

You must be doing something wrong to get all that attention with the tens of thousands of cars officers see yearly...

coolcustomer

My mustang brings all the girls in the yard and Popo's as well. Yes, I get stopped often, like twice a year. Yes, I know I don't speed. I also like to drive on long trips on terrible weekends like that dreaded May 24 or that labor day weekend where the police think they can stop anyone they want.

If I wanted to get away with speeding, I would instead try out radar detectors or one of those laser scaterers. Boy, some people just can't think.

coolcustomer

Sure, how much could it could, find a garage with a dynonometer and having it certified once a year should be no problem, this way I can prove it's always acurate. Besides, a video camera mounted in your car can have other benefits. Like catching crazy driving and posting them on Youtube. Lol.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

Strange I had an 05 Mustang (the nice new retro style) when they first came out...drive all over TO and cottage country, prior to that an 03 BMW M3, my wife had an Auti TT Covertible...I think we can agree those are flashy cars...add my Italian Sportsbike to the equation for that matter...

No officers in the GTA / OPP would know my cars...

I NEVER get stopped..not once. Why? Keep it to 10-15 km/h over the limit. Plain ansd simple, wear my seatbelt, don't modify my cars to look cool and don't drive live I have a red nose and big feet...22 years of not being stopped once...with 15-18,000 coppers in Southern Ontario...strange you say?

So PUH-LEASE don't blame your car, that's lame, the radar doesn't flash make / model on it's display...

It finds people going over the speed limit...there is NO SHORTAGE of speeders on the roadways so I find it laughable that an officer would create a speeder when there are the number of people putting YOU in danger rushing to the mall, dentist or are late for court...

Get yourself a video camera, tape everything, get your bunker mentality set...it's you against them...they have your name, your plate, know where you live, in fact there's probably a satellite over your home right now (we comandeer them from time to time, without a warrant cause we don't care about your rights)...

And come to court, you can line up next to the other 20 people who daily profess we got the wrong car, the other guy was speeding, it was interference, we don't know how to use a radar device...

If I heard that once a month I'd raise an eyebrow, maybe mull it over...but not when hundreds come to court weekly...stating it wasn't them...seriously...

Running a radar unit takes some basic training, they are quite easy to use and with any experience on the road at all, an officer merely uses the instrument to confirm his visuals...simply put, if white car is overtaking black car, the white car is going faster...what could be simpler...

By reading this message I have uploaded a virus to your PC which will sync to your phone letting us know exactly where you are so we can ticket you at our convenience...

CoolChick

by: CoolChick on

FyreStorm wrote:Strange I had an 05 Mustang (the nice new retro style) when they first came out...drive all over TO and cottage country, prior to that an 03 BMW M3, my wife had an Auti TT Covertible...I think we can agree those are flashy cars...add my Italian Sportsbike to the equation for that matter...

No officers in the GTA / OPP would know my cars...

I NEVER get stopped..not once. Why? Keep it to 10-15 km/h over the limit. Plain ansd simple, wear my seatbelt, don't modify my cars to look cool and don't drive live I have a red nose and big feet...22 years of not being stopped once...with 15-18,000 coppers in Southern Ontario...strange you say?

Thats weird.... I was in a traffic court and witnessed quite a few ticketed for 85 or thereabouts in an 80 zone. It is a well known fact that cops pull over showy cars especially those with tints etc...

So PUH-LEASE don't blame your car, that's lame, the radar doesn't flash make / model on it's display...

It finds people going over the speed limit...there is NO SHORTAGE of speeders on the roadways so I find it laughable that an officer would create a speeder when there are the number of people putting YOU in danger rushing to the mall, dentist or are late for court...

I tend to think slow automobiles are the cause of many accidents....

Get yourself a video camera, tape everything, get your bunker mentality set...it's you against them...they have your name, your plate, know where you live, in fact there's probably a satellite over your home right now (we comandeer them from time to time, without a warrant cause we don't care about your rights)...

Can you show me the section of the Highway Traffic Act that says you can randomly pull over any automobile?

Dont be bitter... you have to realise that the people also feel they are being taken for fools also !

beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

Instead of mounting the camera to the ceiling of the ca,r have a tripod on the floor of the rear seats. Just find a way to fasten the tripod to the floor so it doesn't become a projectile if you crash.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FyreStorm wrote:Has your speedometer been certified? How often would it have to be calibrated? An errant speedometer is not a defence...

Errant speedometer is not a defence to speeding under s. 128.

However, according to the Ontario Court of Appeal, an errant speedometer is a defence to stunt driving (50 km/h or more over limit) as it is a strict liability offence. If your speedometer was reading 49 km/h over the limit or less, and you can prove it, you would be found not guilty of stunt driving. Speeding yes, but stunt driving no.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
FyreStorm

Posting Awards

It's in the annodated, I just don't have a copy handy...

But the court of appeals have found it lawful for police to stop vehicle to check for proof of licence, permit and insurance.

It's fairly common and has been upheld, despite being challenged, by the courts.

As for showy cars...I didn't have an illegal tint, loud exhaust or any other mods, so of course I wouldn't get pulled over.

And ticketed for 85 km/h in an 80km/h (actually iyou prob mean 95km/h in an 80km/h, that's the magic 15 over that lets the officer reduce the fine to no demerits points) doesn't mean the offence was noted to be higher, officers regularly reduce speedings to spare drivers high fines and demerit points...

Once again working WITH the public to keep our roads safe...

God Bless Us!

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

And while you may believe slower cars cause accident check the NHTSI website to see if you can find any proof of this.

But SEVERITY of injuries is, according to the laws (not common laws, but the laws of...) physics indicated that energy has to go somewhere.

Slower speeds means great reaction time and reduced carnage.

Pretty simple huh?

A vehicle travelling 10% takes more than 10% more distance to stop...there's some great videos on YouTube about slowing down just 10km/h...huge difference.

We studied this when I took the BMW Advanced Driver Level II a few ago...

A simple 20 km/h increase in speed adds 46% more distance to your stop...collision are caused by more then speed, but generally more severe as a result.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

This way, for your defense at court, all statements are recorded, and if it's a case of mistakenly identifying a vehicle, then that would be recorded on video camera as well.

I treat every stop as if its recorded (audio/video or both).....no worries there

Video in a vehicle can not identify which target a radar or lidar is striking and at what point in the time the reading was obtained. You would not believe how many do the old "raise the hand - on the steering wheel" as they pass the front of the cruiser...meanwhile I obtained their speed 800m prior.

who is going to certify the video, what professional training does the operator have to use the video, is the video set up as specified in the manual, is there provisions to use a mount, what type of mount must be used etc....

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
coolcustomer

Yes, I do find some police officers are crooked, but I know allot of straight ones too.

I find them especially ignorant on weekends and especially while your driving cross country hundreds of km's away from where you live cause thats when they have a good idea that it would be terribly costly to contest it.

In the United states, most police vehicles are mounted with dashboard camera's, if you look it up on youtube, these cameras record the good, and also the bad on behalf of the officer as well. Lol, there is one where his own vehicle was left on neutral while giving annother driver a ticket. His own cruiser hit the vehicle he was ticketing, that was worth a laught. Who leaves his car in neutral? However, do they have these camera's it in Canada? I don't know, but instead of listening to some self pius banter about police always beeing honnest, I know for a fact that the opposite is very true as well.

So, for long trips, I want to be able to find a way to record my speedometer as well as having a constant dashboard camera running as evidence. No, not just for police, but look at the insurance problem, what if you get into an accident and there are no eyewitnesses, maybe the other guy you hit is a disshonest traffic attorney. (Start to see a theme here)? One who knows how to lie for a profession.

cruzmisl

by: cruzmisl on

You're entire idea will be useless in court. Secondly, for someone to put that much thought into this is strange. Something rotten in Denmark IMHO.

Post a Reply