A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

gord111

Got A Ticket For Having Two Valid Driver's Licenses

by: gord111 on

A cop stopped me and asked for my license, proof of insurance and registration. I opened my wallet and handed him the license and insurance paper then reached into the glove box to retrieve my vehicle reg from the car's owner's manual pocket. I pulled it out and my old driver's license was behind it. I had moved about 6 months ago and made the address change online, then I placed the old license in the glove box. When the new license was received, I placed it in my wallet with my updated insurance papers. I later placed the new vehicle reg inside the pocket of the manual (I was still waiting for my new license in the mail). I'd forgotten about it and just left it there. If I was aware that it was such an offense to not destroy the old license, I would have been on top of it but I didn't think it was a big deal. However the cop gave me a ticket for possession of two drivers' licenses. This is in Ontario. has anyone else ever heard of this? I can't find out what the possible fine amount is either as the cop didn't know.

neo333

by: neo333 on

What exactly was written on the ticket?

Did commit the offence of: .......

Contrary to: .......

Sect.......

What was in the set fine box and total payable box?

gord111

neo333 wrote:What exactly was written on the ticket?

Did commit the offence of: .......

Contrary to: .......

Sect.......

What was in the set fine box and total payable box?

It's some new sort of ticket. Instead of a set amount or fine listed on it, the procedure now is to appear in court on the date written on the ticket by the officer and either plead guilty or not.

it said "possession of two driver's licenses". It didn't state where in the HTA that is says this and in fact, I couldn't locate anything about it in the HTA.

The only information I could find was a brief note they'd recently added on the same government website where you can change your address online is "Q:What do I do with my old license? A: Destroy it" Nothing about it being an offense to "possess" two.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

HTA 35. (1) No person shall

(e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one drivers licence;

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
gord111

Thank you for that. I couldn't locate it in the HTA. Any idea what the penalty is for it?

Post a Reply