A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

toronto416

Non-ontarian Licenses Suspended In The Martimes And Moved To Ontario

by: toronto416 on

Hi ALL,

I do have a weird situation and do not know how to handle it. Hopefully, some of you folks could share some light.

10 years ago my license suspended in the Maritimes. This was a non-Ontarian license. I think it was a road side suspension. I cannot recall how long the suspension was.

I was charged with DUI and refusal. You know how to cops are. I fought the charges and won. I was found non guilty. I never dealt with it after and let it go. I think my non-Ontarian license remains suspended in the Maritimes, still?

Then, I have moved to Ontario and would like to drive again. I think in the Ontario license application form, there is a field for a previous license in the country. I will mark that as yes, of course. And, then, I am not sure what's going to happen.

I would like to know what my options are here please.

Let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your time.

Cheers!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

If you have a license from another province (full license, not learners) for more than 2 years, you can exchange it for a full Ontario license. This means you will skip the graduated license program and receive a license after an eye exam.

However, the license needs to be valid. You cannot exchange a suspended or expired license.

toronto416

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I am aware of the exchange program.

However, my concern is the suspention in the other province.

I do not mind starting over in Ontario.

Do I have to remove the suspension in the other province or I can apply for an Ontario license and start over, even though my initial license remains suspended?

Thank you.

toronto416

bend wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 am

All provinces are apart of the Canadian Driver License Compact, which shares driving information across the country.

No province should issue you a license if you're suspended in another province.

You should probably contact your home province about the status of your license.

Thank you for your reply. The suspension would not be longer than 90 days. There is no conviction as I was found not guilty.

Do you think it still remains suspended after 90 days?

Thank you

Post a Reply