factis

Accident Reports With No Damage/payout - Insurance Effect?

by: factis on

Hey question that I think here's probably the best place to get the answer:

I was charged with a careless driving offence in oct, trail in early april, so as of right now my insurance record is 100% clean... except the officer did file an accident report at the scene where I was classified at fault due to it being PI (although very minor). The person I hit did not sue etc, so the insurance company was not contacted etc (i assume so?) and did not pay anything out.

I am elligable for a deduction / switch to a sister company at a reduced rate for same coverage etc.. my broker mentioned they'd be running a report on my circumstances (tickets etc) to confirm my record was still the same.. and as the verdict of my trial has yet to be determined, I am clean ticket wise.

My question is, based on this, will this at-fault accident show up regardless even though it did not affect them from an economic standpoint / at all? Also, I have made changes to my policy for reductions since and each time it's been re-evaluated, there was no penalty / still considered conviction free... should I be concerned that this will show up? How are these circumstances treated? Are insurance companies made aware of these 'at fault' accidents if it technically does not concern them from a financial stand point? Does the MTO keep this on record as my own personal 'at fault' accident regardless?

Thanks guys, I did some searching but there seems to be little on this subject matter available.

Any help appreciated, I know it's best to never tell them anything regardless and let them find out on their own etc.

viper1

by: viper1 on

Collision reporting center is run buy insurance company.

It is reported if you took it there.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

factis wrote: I was classified at fault due to it being PI (although very minor).

the fault is not determined by amount of injury or lack thereof

Does the MTO keep this on record as my own personal 'at fault' accident regardless?

all collisions and conviction since the day you were born are on the MTO

records

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
factis

hwybear wrote:
factis wrote: I was classified at fault due to it being PI (although very minor).

Does the MTO keep this on record as my own personal 'at fault' accident regardless?

records

Understood in that aspect, however is that contradictory to what viper1 posted above? Despite the MTO having this 'record' I suppose, will it show up at my insurance company as an 'at fault' accident considering it was never reported in a collision center?

Responses in bold, thank you both.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Lets just say that if you are convicted of "Careless Driving", that alone might be reason enough for your insurer to drop you, even if there is no collision involved. Not every insurer will drop you, of course, but your rates will go up regardless of what insurer you are with at the time. Not one insurer will forgive a "Careless Driving".

Getting a break on your insurance right now can work, but if you loose, the rate will go up. It is a very serious charge. Have you started preparing your defence?

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
viper1

by: viper1 on

factis wrote:
hwybear wrote:

records

Understood in that aspect, however is that contradictory to what viper1 posted above? Despite the MTO having this 'record' I suppose, will it show up at my insurance company as an 'at fault' accident considering it was never reported in a collision center?

Responses in bold, thank you both.

Did you show you insurance card at the accendent place? (yes/no)

my guess is yes.

It is reported.

They pay to have these things running.

Can I make it any clearer?

It will be known to your insurance.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
factis

racer wrote:Lets just say that if you are convicted of "Careless Driving", that alone might be reason enough for your insurer to drop you, even if there is no collision involved. Not every insurer will drop you, of course, but your rates will go up regardless of what insurer you are with at the time. Not one insurer will forgive a "Careless Driving".

Getting a break on your insurance right now can work, but if you loose, the rate will go up. It is a very serious charge. Have you started preparing your defence?

No one is more aware than myself the potential repercussions of a careless driving conviction... Assuming the worst case scenario, I don't think what insurance company I'd have at the time would potentially matter as you are absolutely correct; a complete drop or an astronomical price increase would be the reality... hence why I am considering the switch now.

7 days after the ticket, based on the content of this forum, I signed up with OTT Legal. I only received notification of trial date second week of January and since which OTT made my request for disclosure. I have not heard anything from them yet, I will be checking in with them early this week as I want ample time to scrutinize any witness testimony and officer notes.

My scenario, I firmly believe did not warrant this charge.. coming from studying criminology and being not-too-far away from potential graduate school, the 'Careless Driving' charge in particular fascinates me.

It's generally vague description allows for it to be used in a blanket of scenarios where far more specific charges which exist would probably be applicable.. hence why it is one of the charges to prove. From my readings and personal research however, I am alarmed as it appears to be prescribed in hopes of a plead down and mandatory conviction likewise of a charge that seemingly should have been applied (which I honestly do think my case will come to).

I have had my license for almost 8 years, I have never had any moving violations what-so-ever during the duration of this time period... I am careful almost always to the point I am ridiculed for driving the car which I do in the fashion which I do lol... there was no point during the course of action(s) which lead to my unfortunate collision where I lacked due care or neglected consideration for other people using the road.

Viper... you did actually post two essentially contradictory statements. In your first post, you stated 'if you brought it' to a collision center. I never physically brought this report, nor did the other individual involved in the accident...

In your second, you said if I showed my insurance card at the scene of the accident it would be on record for my insurance company. I will assume you mean the scene of the accident. If this is the case, seeing the police were present and circumstances, there was obviously no choice. My question really was/is more so does the officer take it himself regardless? mail it? Or does it simply exist on MTO records, which if you are correct by saying insurance companies own collision reporting centers... would not technically be the same database, although they *might* have access...

I simply wanted to know if anyone knew definitively in that regard?

I will bite the bullet and attempt the switch however, seeing as I have made 3-4 changes to policy since the 'accident' and nothing has increased despite a review at these intervals.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

factis wrote:[In your second, you said if I showed my insurance card at the scene of the accident it would be on record for my insurance company. I will assume you mean the scene of the accident. If this is the case, seeing the police were present and circumstances, there was obviously no choice. My question really was/is more so does the officer take it himself regardless? mail it? Or does it simply exist on MTO records, which if you are correct by saying insurance companies own collision reporting centers... would not technically be the same database, although they *might* have access... .

if it is a reportable collision (damage over $1000, injury of any kind, or property damage - even hitting a delineator post) and it was reported to the police at scene OR to the police at the reporting centre, there will be a collision report completed, this info goes to the mto and is entered onto the mto database

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
factis

Thank you hwybear, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will proceed with caution then.

Much appreciated.

Post a Reply