akarimov

Paid Tickets

by: akarimov on

Here is my problem. I got two tickets

1. Driving without insurance slip ($120)

2. Fail to have 2 license plates ($120)

Both tickets can be dropped by prosecutor, because I got these tickets before and they just dropped it, when I showed a picture that I put my plate back on and I got the insurance slip.

I set a court date to fight the tickets, because I did not have time to meet with prosecutor. I missed the courtdate because I was out of the country. It was a family emergency, and I had to leave the country urgently, and this matter just slipped my mind.

My brother (in Canada) received the notifications that I have to pay these tickets after I missed the courtdate, so he paid it.

I was wondering if there is anyway I can re-open those cases and talk to the prosecutor and explain this situation? Because we are talking about $250 down the drain.

Thank you.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

akarimov wrote:Here is my problem. I got two tickets

2. Fail to have 2 license plates ($120).

this must not be from Ontario as those are not proper fine amounts for the offence you listed

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
akarimov

hwybear wrote:
akarimov wrote:Here is my problem. I got two tickets

2. Fail to have 2 license plates ($120).

this must not be from Ontario as those are not proper fine amounts for the offence you listed

This is in Ontario. I think it came to that amount after i missed the courtdates; but original tickets were $110 think

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Failure to appear for a court date results in an additional $10 court fee, if a conviction is entered. (Which it will be if the tickets are "complete and regular" on their face.)

You can certainly try appearing before a JP to get the case re-opened. Will it work? Don't know.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
akarimov

now that the thing;

i dont have any paperwork or numbers of the tickets;

where can i get the numbers? and what the procedure for appeal?

thank you

Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

If these are Ontario tickets then your set fine on Insurance card ticket is wrong. Since you did not appear at trial that ticket should have been quashed. If you decide to do a reopening instead it will not cure wrong set fine and appeal is a more appropriate option.

akarimov

I just got back to canada recently;

courtdate was close a year ago, can it still be appealed ?

Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

If your conviction was registered close to a year ago then the only option is to proceed by way of Motion to Extend Time To File An Appeal. On the date of motion hearing you will need to explain why you did not appeal within prescribed time and whether you have grounds for appeal.

Post a Reply