Charlie

Parking Near A Fire Hydrant

by: Charlie on

I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada).

I got slapped with a ticket of $45 for violationing a Bylaw when I parked on a street infront of my doctors office.

I parked within 3 M of a point on the curb or edge of roadway opposite a fire hydrant.

Here's the details:

I find a parking sign on the road that says NO PARKING < , which means that I can park to the right of the sign. So I park on the right side of the sign and put my front bumper right at it as there is already a vehicle parked behind me. The point is, my rear bumper turned out to be within 3 meters of a hydrant (which I only noticed after returning to my car and try to figure out why I received the ticket). The interesting part to me is why do they have the NO PARKING < sign in that location because any vehicle in the first spot indicated by the sign, is within 3 meters of the hydrant. The designated parking area should have been started one parking spot back as to no confuse people.

The point is, should I argue this in court? Do I have a chance of winning? If I do, what should I say? Thank you for your help!

viper1

by: viper1 on

Charlie wrote:I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada).

I got slapped with a ticket of $45 for violationing a Bylaw when I parked on a street infront of my doctors office.

I parked within 3 M of a point on the curb or edge of roadway opposite a fire hydrant.

Here's the details:

I find a parking sign on the road that says NO PARKING < , which means that I can park to the right of the sign. So I park on the right side of the sign and put my front bumper right at it as there is already a vehicle parked behind me. The point is, my rear bumper turned out to be within 3 meters of a hydrant (which I only noticed after returning to my car and try to figure out why I received the ticket). The interesting part to me is why do they have the NO PARKING < sign in that location because any vehicle in the first spot indicated by the sign, is within 3 meters of the hydrant. The designated parking area should have been started one parking spot back as to no confuse people.

The point is, should I argue this in court? Do I have a chance of winning? If I do, what should I say? Thank you for your help!

They have by-laws up the ying-yang for that 3 metre shite.

If you just want to beat the ticket get:

plastic fire hydrant.

5 yard sticks

Pictures of the crime

Take then to court with you.

They won't let you say anything and just with-draw it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

in lieu of a ticket.....this is a better reminder....like to see this more often

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

hwybear wrote:in lieu of a ticket.....this is a better reminder....like to see this more often

No problem with that although it would be easier to go over-top and much quicker must have been rookies.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
toybus

by: toybus on

i had a fire route ticket this year and i went the full monty with that one, i went for a first attendace and the by law guy was a real bastard, so i requested a trial and ordered disclosure, they never provided it or sent me a conviction notice so im assuming that they abandoned it, maybe they are not used to disclosure requests for parking tickets!

if everyone who got any kind of ticket tried to fight it the system would break down!

lets spread the word and convince people to stand up for themselves!

hwybear

Posting Awards

toybus wrote:i had a fire route ticket this year ......

lets spread the word and convince people to stand up for themselves!

.............. those drivers should STAND up and pay those tickets!

Those spots are for those medically who can not walk great distances OR fire departments to save a life!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

do everyone a favour and park away from fire hydrants...... Too many fires this time of year to risk time or your car....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Squishy

by: Squishy on

hwybear wrote:Those spots are for those medically who can not walk great distances OR fire departments to save a life!

Do some cities allow disabled permit holders to park in fire routes, or are you referring to parking tickets in general?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Squishy wrote:Do some cities allow disabled permit holders to park in fire routes

None that come to mind.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

Squishy wrote:
hwybear wrote:Those spots are for those medically who can not walk great distances OR fire departments to save a life!

Do some cities allow disabled permit holders to park in fire routes, or are you referring to parking tickets in general?

just referring to those 2 types of spots (fire and disabled). I have many words that are not suitable for here that describe vehicles unlawfully parking in those spots.

toybus

by: toybus on

just to be clear guys i didnt think i was in a fire route, the signage was not clear at all (the signs were only on the opposite side of a two way street!), i would never park knowingly in a fire route or handicap spot...

screwed-by-guys_in-blue

by: screwed-by-guys_in-blue on

This ticket was given to my 78yr old disabled Mother(with displayed disability permit) dwntwn Toronto few month ago.. But Horray to her cause would you believe she took a picture of where she was, because she had taken my advice- to Keep a cheap camera in glove compartment or trunk.

She was actually on a small but busy side street and the picture clearly shows : A large limosouine & driver having a smoke, right in front of hydrant- 1 foot away blocking Firehydrant on corner and her vehicle 3 car lengths away with ticket on it.

.. AND on the other side of street directly across from Limo, is a big huge Hummer 1/2 on the street and 1/2 ON the sidewalk (only so he's not fully blocking the way through, both oppositely parked vehicles on each corner of that side street..

Im waiting to go to court to show the judge that & question officer, when I defend her, as the other 2 cars in front of my mom also got same ticket.. But the Llimo blocking fire-hydrant didnt get one that I could see in picture.??!!

I guess the ticketing officer was reaching his quota, as it was like the 28 or 29th of August when this happened..

Cheers to my Mom for acually bringing her camera when she drove into Toronto!

I want disclosure to read before that trial date..

I've always lived by the rules of Nature. Its the other ones you need to Be Aware of..
Reflections

by: Reflections on

Similar to this, I once got a ticket for parking in a snow removal zone....I was parked on my front lawn.......WTF. The town had never and will never remove snow from the lawn........Although, I ticked option 3 and never heard anything else.......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

screwed-by-guys_in-blue wrote:This ticket was given to my 78yr old disabled Mother(with displayed disability permit) dwntwn Toronto few month ago.. But Horray to her cause would you believe she took a picture of where she was, because she had taken my advice- to Keep a cheap camera in glove compartment or trunk.

She was actually on a small but busy side street and the picture clearly shows : A large limosouine & driver having a smoke, right in front of hydrant- 1 foot away blocking Firehydrant on corner and her vehicle 3 car lengths away with ticket on it.

.. AND on the other side of street directly across from Limo, is a big huge Hummer 1/2 on the street and 1/2 ON the sidewalk (only so he's not fully blocking the way through, both oppositely parked vehicles on each corner of that side street..

Im waiting to go to court to show the judge that & question officer, when I defend her, as the other 2 cars in front of my mom also got same ticket.. But the Llimo blocking fire-hydrant didnt get one that I could see in picture.??!!

I guess the ticketing officer was reaching his quota, as it was like the 28 or 29th of August when this happened..

Cheers to my Mom for acually bringing her camera when she drove into Toronto!

Since she took the picture, I am pretty sure that she would have to come to the court as well.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

racer wrote:
screwed-by-guys_in-blue wrote:This ticket was given to my 78yr old disabled Mother(with displayed disability permit) dwntwn Toronto few month ago.. But Horray to her cause would you believe she took a picture of where she was, because she had taken my advice- to Keep a cheap camera in glove compartment or trunk.Cheers to my Mom for acually bringing her camera when she drove into Toronto!

Since she took the picture, I am pretty sure that she would have to come to the court as well.

and a good prosecutor will have that photo tossed from the trial

Post a Reply