Three-wheeled Motorcycles....

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

hwybear

Posting Awards

Three-wheeled Motorcycles....

Unread post by hwybear »

Figured I would look this up....as I have seen a few:

Q.Are there different wheel configurations of motor tricycles?

A motor tricycle may have either have:

one front wheel and two rear wheels, or

two front wheels and one rear wheel, or

be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.

Q. Are you really going to let people ride their motor tricycles with 3 passengers behind them?

Since the four-seat motor tricycle is a new federal provision, the HTA prohibits motor tricycles from having more than two seating positions unless the vehicle was originally manufactured with four seats and bears a compliance label indicating its conformity with federal regulations for motor tricycles.

Ontarios HTA requires that each passenger seating position on a motorcycle have an operable footrest

Q. What do I need to drive a motor tricycle?

A driver of a motor tricycle must be at least 16 years old and have a valid M1, M2, or, an M2 or M licence with an M condition. The M condition is added to your licence if you pass the Level One or Level Two road test using a three-wheeled motorcycle. The M condition means you are licensed to drive a three-wheeled motorcycle only.

Anyone with an "M condition" specific to three-wheeled motorcycles is not authorized to operate a two-wheeled motorcycle.

The vehicle must be insured, registered and have a valid licence plate. The operator must wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

this is the MTO site with all the info...highlights are above

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... q.shtml#a1
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

Unread post by Squishy »

So that's an "M" license with an "M" condition? Man who thought that up.

Good to know, though. I've been considering a Spyder as a winter-capable bike...once I get enough money.

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

I have one with a GM designation so I can if I can find one.?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

viper1 wrote:I have one with a GM designation so I can if I can find one.?

Cheers

Viper1

You would need a GM with a condition of M.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

then I am good.

If I every find one I will give it a ride.

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
BelSlySTi

Unread post by BelSlySTi »

I was so close to buying a spyder in 07, went with two wheels instead

Viper, call Hans at www.snowcity.com , I am sure he could get you on one for a demo!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

tks

Viper1

use at your own risk"
Proper1

Unread post by Proper1 »

hwybear wrote: Q. What do I need to drive a motor tricycle?

A driver of a motor tricycle must be at least 16 years old and have a valid M1, M2, or, an M2 or M licence with an M condition. The M condition is added to your licence if you pass the Level One or Level Two road test using a three-wheeled motorcycle. The M condition means you are licensed to drive a three-wheeled motorcycle only.

Anyone with an "M condition" specific to three-wheeled motorcycles is not authorized to operate a two-wheeled motorcycle.

The vehicle must be insured, registered and have a valid licence plate. The operator must wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

this is the MTO site with all the info...highlights are above

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... q.shtml#a1

Apologies if I'm resurrecting a dead topic, but I have owned a sidecar-capable BMW R60, and always thought my GM licence would be good if I were to be fool enough to blow my money on getting another, this time with a sidecar mounted. Now the MTO has me confused. The site hwybear refers to (thanks!) says exactly what he has posted: it's there as Question 18. But, just when you've decided it's merely another nugget of bureaucratic stupidity that we have to live by, MTO goes on to say this:

MTO wrote: 22. What kind of motorcycles can I drive with an M drivers licence?

* With an M drivers licence, the operator can drive a two-wheeled motorcycle, motor tricycle, limited-speed motorcycle and a moped.

I.e., any kind of motorcycle. And they also add the following:

MTO wrote: 26. If I hold a licence with an M condition that only allows me to drive a motor tricycle, what do I need to do to upgrade to a full unrestricted motorcycle licence?

* To upgrade to a full unrestricted M licence, one that will allow you to drive a full-speed two-wheeled motorcycle, you must do the following: [blah, blah, blah]

Leaving aside the grammatical error (they probably mean "allows me to drive only a motor tricycle") that appears to say that the full M licence is unrestricted, no? The M condition is a restriction you get on your M if you choose to do the motorcycle test on a three-wheeler... I think!

Any chance I may be right?

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

I certainly would agree with you Proper1.

I have been speaking up thru the channels to get it clarified...will advise when info known.

HighMileJon

Unread post by HighMileJon »

M condition/restriction means you passed your motorcycle road tests using a 3 wheeled motorcycle which means you are NOT allowed to ride a two wheeled motorcycle with a M condition license.

If you have a M license this means you passed your motorcycle road tests using a two wheeled motorcycle which allows you to ride a two or three wheeled motorcycle.

The reason the MTO has done this is to ensure that a rider with balance issues can't complete their motorcycle road tests with a 3 wheeled motorcycle then ride around on a two wheeled motorcycle they were never actually tested on to see if they are safe to be allowed to ride on roads with.

Return to “General Talk”