Are Flashing Led Lights Legal At The Back Of A Car? Ontario

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Law2Law

Are Flashing Led Lights Legal At The Back Of A Car? Ontario

Unread post by Law2Law »

Hey all,

New to this website, but i got a questions that needs some answers.

I recently saw a SECURITY car with flashing BLUE light at the REAR of the car while he was attending a scene of an accident> guess he saw it first and decided to make sure everyone was ok< the light was a SINGLE flash. Now the HTA doesn't really say much about NO BLUE to the BACK, only to the front, and i have seen a discussion on here that only PLOW trucks and police are allowed to have blue flashing lights?

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except,

(a) a person operating a road service vehicle in the circumstances described in subsection (31); or

(b) a person operating a police department vehicle, together with a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of red light, as permitted by subsection (14.1). 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (8).

Penalty – commercial motor vehicle

My question is would that SECURITY guard get fined when police arrive? I mean he is trying to help someone and make sure that no further cars are included in the collision, however i have heard that a car can have ANY color of emergency lights at the back so long it is ONE flash? Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks to all

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Yes flashing blue is prohibited and a ticket could be issued. I would issue that offence, and consider an arrest for impersonating a police officer

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca