Driving with suspended license (non paid ticket)

serkan
Driving with suspended license (non paid ticket)

Unread post by serkan on

I had a ticket for going 119km/h in 100 km/h zone in 2011 spring. I went to the court. Prosecutor made a deal at 115 km/h and i plead guilt to that and given 3 months time to pay the ticket.

I know there is no excuse to not pay your ticket in 3 months and it is irresponsible. I am a kind of person who leaves things to the last minute. I was sent to work in Timmins/ON for 5 weeks and I live in Windsor/ON. It is 11 hours away.

As i left this ticket to pay at a later time. I was unaware the deadline had passed and my license was suspended and I did not receive the notice because I was away. (I can prove I was in Timmins with my bank statements)

On my way back to Windsor, I got pulled over and officer told me I had suspended license and I had to hand in the keys, car got towed and he gave me a yellow slip, summons to defend.

I don't know what section it is because a ticket fighter took my slip in the court date and told me he will postpone it this time and look into the case and give me a call. I said "ok". Today he calls me and tells me best he can do is to lower the fine to $490 plus i have to pay him $500.

Is this a criminal offense ? He said I can be jailed for 6 months !!!

Anyways I am laid off atm and can't afford to pay for a lawyer. This is my first time driving with suspended license.

I paid my fine and got my license reinstated same week i got caught. What are my chances fighting this w/o a lawyer ? What is the minimum fine I can get away from this ?

Thank you...

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys on

Driving suspended is under s. 53 of the Highway Traffic Act, therefore it is a provincial offence, not a criminal offence.

s. 53 says that the penalty for a first offence is between $1000 and $5000 or a term of imprisonment for 6 months or both. However, the judge does have the discretion to reduce the fine below the statutory minimum.
http://www.boryslaw.ca
NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.

serkan
Unread post by serkan on

I understand. Are there any suggestions ? Should I deal with this myself or pay the ticker fighter ?

What is the minimum fine I can get away with ?

Thanks.

ticket123
Unread post by ticket123 on

serkan wrote:I understand. Are there any suggestions ? Should I deal with this myself or pay the ticker fighter ?

What is the minimum fine I can get away with ?

Thanks.

I don't think the JP will be harsh on you sentence wise if this is a first offence. My opinion is to state your case yourself, state the truth, and that you are in hard times. Tell him/her you took care of it immediately and bring proof, and show remorse. The money you will spend on hired help, use it towards your fine. JMHO

Return to “Driving While Suspended”