Insurance Coverage - Driving Under Suspension

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

toupitch

Insurance Coverage - Driving Under Suspension

Unread post by toupitch »

Hi,

Scenario - A friend of mine was killed recently by a suspected drunk driver. The charges brought upon this individual were as follows:

Criminal negligence causing death, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, and breach of undertaking and driving with a suspended licence.

My question to users of this forum/moderator etc would be as to whether the insurance company of the charged driver is still liable to pay damages to the deceased friends family should a lawsuit be launched against the person that committed this crime?

FiReSTaRT

Unread post by FiReSTaRT »

Even if they're not, I'm pretty sure that every motor vehicle insurance policy (even if it's liability-only) has a provision for covering the damages caused by an uninsured/underinsured motorist. A few bucks of every insurance policy should go into that fund.

Here's a more relevant read on it.. http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/English/insur ... torist.asp

Basically, your friend is covered up to $200,000, but will have to go to court to get it. On a good note, the $200,000 goes above and beyond legal costs, so there will be no shortage of competent ambulance-chasers to handle the case.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

This is truly a tragic scenario.

I would first ask the family of the deceased if they have received any mail from the insurance company of the driver. They should. In any case, you will likely be filing against the insurance provider of the driver instead of the actual driver.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com